Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

every time i wake my mac i get This computer’s local hostname “‫D-360.local‎‬” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “‫D-444.local‎‬”.

error message that my local host name is in use and the system generates a new one every time I wake my mac the error mssg reads This computer’s local hostname “D-360.local” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “D-444.local”.

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 11:00 PM

6 replies

Aug 2, 2014 9:04 AM in response to davidd4300

There are several possible causes for this behavior.

1. Two (or more) computers on the local network have the same Bonjour name, such as "X's-MacBook-Pro.local". Resolve the name conflict by renaming one or more of them in the Sharing preference pane.

2. You have two simultaneous connections to the same local network: probably Ethernet and Wi-Fi. If applicable, disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off Wi-Fi.

3. A Mac wakes from sleep due to network traffic. This is a bug in OS X that may only affect some models.

4. A device that gets its network address from the router wakes from sleep, and the address it was using before has been assigned to another device.

5. A third-party wireless router has incompatible settings or firmware. In that case, refer to the manufacturer or ISP for support. Restarting the router may help, temporarily.

6. See also this support article.

Jun 30, 2016 9:27 AM in response to PhaedrusTheGreek

In addition to the previously listed possible causes of this problem, there was a period when Yosemite i.e. 10.10 had problems down to the then new software called discoveryd which was responsible for performing Bonjour look ups. Apple eventually reverted back to the previous more reliable mdnsresponder software in Yosemite 10.10.4 which 'fixed' that particular problem.

You don't list what version of OS X you are running but if an older version of Yosemite i.e. 10.10 to 10.10.3 then you should upgrade to 10.10.5.

This would not apply to El Capitan.

every time i wake my mac i get This computer’s local hostname “‫D-360.local‎‬” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “‫D-444.local‎‬”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.