Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An unexpected error occurred. Try again." Extreme/Express cannot connect to existing network

Recently my Speedstar wired modem died. So I had a relatively unused NETGEAR DG834GT wireless modem. Had no idea the old AirPort Extreme Base Station with modem was giving me crappy Wi-Fi speeds. I am enjoying speeds almost 6 x faster now. However I had to reset my entire Wi-Fi network and create a new one. I have an ethernet cable connected from the NETGEAR to the AirPort Extreme. I just want to extend my new Wi-Fi network so I have AirPlay back up and running on my three separate surround sound systems.

SPECS

OSX 10.9.4 (both MacBook Air and Mac Mini)

AirPort Utility 6.3.2

AirPort Extreme (2nd generation)

AirPort Express (1st and 2nd generation)

NETGEAR DG834GT (Mode g & b, WPA-PSK Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

AirPort Utility initially displayed all three Airport devices, but with the exclamation mark. I assume it was because I had set up an new Wi-Fi network with a new wireless modem so I had to "Forget" network and start over again.

I've reseted each and every AirPort device to factory setting. AirPort Utility recognised each "new" device, and I selected "Join existing network." After several tries, AirPort Utility continually tells me that "An unexpected error occurred. Try again." This happens every time.

I followed Apple's Support advice: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4597 "AirPort base station not seen or "An unexpected error occurred" appears in AirPort Utility 6.3" to no avail (configuring it to Link-Local).

What can I do so both my MacBook Air and Mac Mini can talk to each other (instead of opening AirDrop all the time) and for AirPlay to work on my three surround sound systems? One would assume that all AirPort devices should be able to readily and easily join an existing network. Is it due to my NETGEAR not playing nice with Apple AirPort devices due to it's wireless capabilities? I even entered through the NETEAR setup wizard and checked if any devices had connected via MAC, but it had none listed.

What should I do?

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Gen), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 1:06 AM

1 reply

Jun 9, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Reubania

I had the same problem, tried the same "link-local" fix - did not work.

I finally just wired the airport extreme to the mac, and then it works fine.

Then for my express, I disconnected from my existing wifi network (that the extreme and express will extend), and with mac's wifi no longer connected to the network, I was able to configure the express.

I guess it is a WIFI problem - when your mac's wifi is already hooked up to an existing network.

"An unexpected error occurred. Try again." Extreme/Express cannot connect to existing network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.