Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mountain Lion is temporarily unavailable.

I have uninstalled all user files in an effort to start over on my system. I am able to make it as far as the sign in screen in Install OS X and then while waiting for the Mac App store to download OS X Mountain Lion I receive the following message, "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later" How do I proceed with reinstalling my OS when it is temporarily unavailable? I am now unable to use my MacBook Pro at all as every time I turn it on it will go directly to the OS X disc utility.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 6:26 AM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2014 5:46 PM in response to EMRTECH

My problem has been solved after contacting Apple Care Support. Mountain Lion was not available and they informed me that we would need to reinstall Lion. They had me go through a process to force to my 2011 MacBook Pro to start directly from Apple’s servers. I restarted my Mac while holding Command+Option+R until I saw a spinning globe appear along with a message about the recovery mode. Upon completion of the recovery the computer rebooted automatically and I then setup my account and finalized the settings in OS X Lion. Afterwards I was able to effortlessly upgrade to OS X Maverick 10.9.4.

Thank you Apple for the three follow up calls to verify that everything was running smoothly during the three hour process. It's service like yours that keeps your customers coming back.

Sincerely, EMRTECH.

Sep 1, 2014 7:15 AM in response to EMRTECH

Thanks so much for this post ERMTECH. I had exactly the same issue, and was tearing my hair out until I found your post and followed your simple instructions. It worked brilliantly for me, although it installed Mavericks without any option, even though my mid-2010 MBP shipped with Snow Leopard and had only been upgraded to Lion.

Terrific, thanks again!

OS X Mountain Lion is temporarily unavailable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.