Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Won't Start Up

I was using 3.4.5 yesterday on my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8.5 and everything seemed fine. This morning I restarted my MacBook and now when I go to the Aperture Icon in the tray and click to launch it bounces once and that’s it…no error message no nothing, including launching Aperture.

I tried launching it from the applications folder and by double clicking my Aperture Vault…all with no good results.

Of course I’m in the middle of a project and need it ASAP.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 9:23 AM

13 replies

Aug 2, 2014 9:45 AM in response to hwbme

Can you launch Aperture with the only the options key ⌥ held down? To test with a new, empty Aperture library?

If you can get Aperture to launch this way, go to the main menu bar and select the "Aperture" menu > About Aperture. This panel will show you your serial number.

Does Aperture work on an empty library?

Did you yesterday upgrade software or run any software for the first time?

Where is your Aperture library located?

Aug 2, 2014 10:01 AM in response to hwbme

Final Cut Express

Look for a crash log of Aperture. The Final Cut reinstallation has been known to corrupt the Aperture installation.

(Aperture 3 unexpectedly quits if Final Cut Express 4 is installed)

Does the error message show:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager

Referenced from: /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture

Then you need to reinstall MacOS X and not Aperture.

Install the system using the latest Combo Updater on top of your current system.

The latest Mountain Lion Combo Updater is here for downloading:

OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo)

Aug 2, 2014 10:11 AM in response to hwbme

The easiest way to find crash log is the Console application. You can launch it from Applications > Utilities.

Click in the Toolbar - Show Log List.

In the log list in the sidebar disclose "User Diagnostic Reports" and "System Diagnostic Reports". Are their any Aperture logs?

Then select the most recent one and look for the Error Messages.

User uploaded file

Aug 2, 2014 11:31 AM in response to hwbme

That is a pity.

If you have a full backup from before the time you reinstalled Final Cut, you could try to restore this dynamic library from your backup to the /Library folder: /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager

The less risky procedure would be to reinstall the system by booting into recovery. The Combo installer does not reinstall all libraries, only what has changed after the installation of the base system.

To reinstall by booting into recovery see this knowledge base article:

OS X: About OS X Recovery http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Aperture Won't Start Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.