Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After importing .MOV File into FCP 7 It Shows Up as "Narrow" with Black Space on Either Side

Good day friends (newbie here) trying to play nice.

I have a .MOV file recorded from Gotomeeting.com "Codec: AAC, H.264, Linear PCM"

When I open it from my desktop it plays in Quicktime in full screen, so far so good.

Final Cut Pro 7 won't import it as is. I am using MPEG Streamclip to convert the video.

When I "Import" the .MOV into Final Cut Pro 7, regardless of how I convert it in MPEG Streamclip (tried quicktime/mpeg4/"hdtv 1080i"/4:3 frame size/16:9 frame size) the video shows up as a "narrow video" with black space on either side of the video.

How do I convert it into FCP and have it still fill up the whole frame like my other video? I'm sure there is a way to trim it in FCP, but with this video in particular I need to show the whole frame I can't trim anything off the top.

THANK YOU!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 10:32 AM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2014 10:17 AM in response to PeaceStrengthLight

For best results, you need to convert the to the ProRes422 codec. The absence of the correct aspect ratio (the 'narrow' issue) is not your biggest problem, getting into a format FCP7 likes, is because H.264 and MPEG-4 (they are related) are not supported in FCP7. Use Compressor - it is designed for the job.

"quicktime/mpeg4/"hdtv 1080i"/4:3 frame size/16:9 frame" size should be

"Apple ProRes 322 for Progressive Material" unless you want is to be interlaced for some reason.

BTW, the reason for the 'narrow' problem is that you asked for a 4:3 frame size to be preserved in the 16:9 (widescreen) timeline.

hope this helps

After importing .MOV File into FCP 7 It Shows Up as "Narrow" with Black Space on Either Side

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.