Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a video slug vs. changing video clips's opacity to zero

I'm self taught on FCP and in editing my first documentary, did not know the best way to remove the video portion of a clip while retaining the audio.

To be able to view the archival stills/video I was using instead of the original video I just changed the video portion of the clips' opacity to zero.

I've since learned that it's standard to remove the video portion of the clip and replace it with a video slug.

The one-hour film plays fine on the FCP timeline, and translates to DVD without any issues. I'm now faced with creating a Digital Cinema Package for

festival exhibition and wonder should I go through and replace any video that is not to be seen with slugs instead. (I shot in and then edited on a DVCPro HD

1080i60 timeline so the entire project will have to be transcoded to 23.98fps by the post facility prior to DCP creation.)

I'm just wondering if replacing the video under archival media with slugs will help make the transcoding from 29.97fps to 23.98fps go more smoothly and quickly.

Obviously, it will take some time to replace all these clips with slugs but it's worth it to me for a better end product.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 1:48 PM

I've been editing with FCP since 2001 for broadcast (and other purposes) and this is the first time I've ever read that "it's standard to remove the video portion of the clip and replace it with a video slug." I simply place the stills or b-roll clips on the track above the video and am done with it. Or you can overwrite the video with the stills or b-roll on the same track. Either way works.

-DH

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2014 1:48 PM in response to Newton the Newt

I've been editing with FCP since 2001 for broadcast (and other purposes) and this is the first time I've ever read that "it's standard to remove the video portion of the clip and replace it with a video slug." I simply place the stills or b-roll clips on the track above the video and am done with it. Or you can overwrite the video with the stills or b-roll on the same track. Either way works.

-DH

Aug 2, 2014 7:36 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thanks David for the helpful reply. It sounds like I misunderstood how to use the slug. My concern was that if I leave the original video clip with the stills or

b-roll clips on the track above I'm creating extra work for the computer (and a longer timeframe for the work) if I'm sending the timeline for transcoding to Compressor.

To make sure I'm following your advice correctly, I could just overwrite the original video clips with the stills or b-roll and not have to worry about using a slug if any of the stills or archival video footage are smaller than the aspect ratio of the video I'm overwriting.

Hope I got it right this time, and thanks again for your help.

Aug 3, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Newton the Newt

in terms of end result, 0% opaque video is invisible, so you will see thru it. if nothing is underneath, you will see black. using transparent video, slug or nothing looks identical.

best practice is when using audio only, lose its video track completely. no need to carry it along.

because in terms of render speed, this makes a difference: FCP will of course need to render your video material invisible if it is there.

for your conversion to digital cinema this makes no difference, though, because they will do that with your final master, not within FCP.

Aug 3, 2014 7:30 PM in response to mdesignffm

I've never put slug on top of footage, or dropped the opacity to zero. If you don't want the picture, then remove it, or cut picture you want over it...and by that, I mean OVERWRITE edit. Don't leave the original picture on V1 and cut what you want on V2...that's messy. When I see timelines like that I know that they were cut by people who never learned how to edit properly. I've had timelines where there were 9-10 layers of video...just keep putting video on top of video...stair stepping...leaving the original or other options underneath. Just plain messy!

Keep video to 1-2 tracks...maybe more for text. But if you have a shot replacing another...cut it in and replace the original. Get rid of it. There are many reasons to do this, that you might not use, but are still good reasons. When you export an EDL to track the amount of footage...say stock footage, used in the cut. Or when you media manage to only have the footage used in a cut..if you have lots of video layers that you aren't using...then that will get copied too and take up more space than you need.

This is good:

User uploaded file

This is also good:

User uploaded file

This is BAD:

User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2014 5:03 AM in response to Shane Ross

hi shane,

you are completely right. at least 99,9%.

there are cases when staircasing is necessary, though, despite of a single video layer only being visible. example: if you hardcut clips that use motion blur (from the clip's motion menu). if you put all clips in one single video track, the first frame of each clip will have no motion blur (because there are no previous frames to blur into this frame). so, after every cut, motion blur will sort of fade in (ie build up). to avoid this (ie motion blur being present from the very first frame of a clip), you want to overlap the clip underneath the previous one for a couple of frames (sometimes up to one second, depending on your motion blur settings) - to give material for a motion blur to happen. so, this overlap is necessary although the clip is not visible at that point.

just for the record. ;-)

Using a video slug vs. changing video clips's opacity to zero

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.