Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it my Mac or Logic X or something else?

Hi,

having some issues with Logic X at the moment, I keep getting the "system overload" message all the time.

Even right now I'm working on a beat which currently has 8 tracks open (couple loaded with Nexus 2 and the rest is Logic plugins) but even on this small project I'm getting the overload message!

It is really becoming quite annoying... literally every 20-30 seconds BAM "System Overload" User uploaded file

I have nothing else running in the background - Just using Logic X

I have also tried everything - Freezing tracks (works a little bit) however i hear certain people are running way more than 8 tracks on Logic X and still running smoothly

I have also messed with the buffer settings and still nothing helps.

I literally don't know what to do next

I Have also done the following tests:

TEST 1:

3 nights ago

Been in the studio since 8pm - uk time (not that it matters) everything was working fine, made a new song and also touched up some other projects... the time now is 10:30pm and Logic CPU meter is now spiking again.

I close all projects (nothing else running in the background either) and open a new empty project, I load up 1 plugin, yep just 1 and its spiking already.

INFACT: As i type this right now Logic is idle.... no sounds being played and nothing being recorded its just sitting there, however the CPU meter is still by itself spiking... User uploaded file

I have no idea what is going on at all.

very strange activity

TEST 2:

2 nights ago

I unplugged my M-Audio interface and switched on my mac.

set audio In/Out to the internal system, opened Logic and had it running for 3-4 hours without one single spike. All seemed to work smoothly and well.

so at this stage I'm guessing it was my M-Audio Profire610 interface causing the problems.

Just to be 100% sure I will run a couple more tests in the next few days and see what results I get.

TEST 3:

1 night ago

so same as before M-Audio unplugged, switch on Mac, open Logic & make music.

Again as last night Logic running fine for few hours and then suddenly I'm starting to get CPU spiking again.

I really thought it was the M-Audio interface but from these tests it seems it may be something else

TEST 4:

tonight

I ran Logic X tonight without using Nexus or any other 3rd party plugins to see what would happen and the same thing happens.. Logic X CPU spikes and I'm getting "System Overload" message.

very strange... as of tonight I've also been getting another message pop up... its something like "sample rate 44278 conflict" or something like that, can't remember exactly but it has popped up a couple times tonight along with the "System Overload" message

I'm starting to think that maybe it could be Maverick.. I'm just not sure.

Current Set Up: (in case its needed)

Logic Pro 10.0.7

iMac: late 2009 model

OSX Version: 10.9.4

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16GB 1067 MHz DDR3

M-Audio Profire 610

Have I missed anything?

Has or Is anyone having this problem? How did you solve it?

hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 1:51 PM

27 replies

Jul 19, 2017 12:04 PM in response to MessyBeatz

I am having exact same problem. Only a few tracks running far less plugins than i have used on older projects, only a few midi tracks and a few audio tracks. I have started getting this sample rate conflict message too, I have never ever had that until this month. The only thing I have done is upgrade to OS Sierra, really wish i didn't. I have found time of day can vary performance, this morning before work song was running fine, now I have all tracks turned off apart from one and it is still doing it. Maddening!! Sorry I can't help you though .

Aug 4, 2014 7:41 AM in response to MessyBeatz

Hi MessyBeatz,

If you are getting “system overload” messages when using Logic I would suggest using the steps in this article to troubleshoot -

Logic Pro X: System Overload messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5412

Further information is available here -

Logic 9.1.4 or later: Core Audio System Overload messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3834

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Aug 4, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett,

thank you for the links to the info.. I have however tried and tested everything there before i even posted my query.

Asa you can see from the tests I have been doing I have actually tried a lot of things before posting just to make sure i'm not missing something small or minor.

I literally ran out of things to test and try hence opening this thread in the hopes that someone might know something I don't.

the problem i'm having is very random and confusing.

Logic X can play fine for couple of hours with like 20+ tracks open and then suddenly start overload

OR

if we flip the coin - i had Logic running earlier with only 1 retro synth track loaded and it was already clipping giving me the "System Overload"

😕

Aug 4, 2014 3:04 PM in response to MessyBeatz

I have had the same problem (intermittent thread overloads) in LPX, first with OS 10.8 and then in 10.9.4.I have followed the steps in the Apple and user advice, in particular:

* Sending all Channel Strips to buses, to redistribute the thread load.

* Re-instating VI tracks that have large libraries on them from new empty MIDI tracks.

* Playing back with only an Audio track selected.

* All my buffer settings are at the maximum.

These actions have ameliorated the problem somewhat, although it still reoccurs at random intervals. It happens both with my Apogee Ensemble or with just System audio. At times one or more threads will even start surging in a new EMPTY project. When it won't stop I have to restart the iMac and everything is OK for a while. I was recently playing a Mac Pro Video NED tutorial while LPX was open and the sound in NED started breaking up - LPX was again 'surging' on a thread - so it affected ALL the Mac's audio. The Activity Monitor in the Utilities Folder shows minimal activity.

After much experimenting with this I really don't think that the problem (in my case, anyway) is related to the processing load caused by plugins (it occurs in Empty Projects). I have concluded that it is probably a mismatch between my 2010 iMac and Logic Pro X.

iMac (2010) 2.93GHz Core i7 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4. Logic Pro X 10.0.7.

Aug 22, 2014 10:20 PM in response to MessyBeatz

Hi, yes -- I'm having the same issue. The CPU meter is surging when idle. I considered updating OS X 10.9, but my specs are the same as Russell's.

Do we know if the Logic team is working on fixing this? Is there a thread I can subscribe to for input & updates?

Thanks

iMac 2010 2.93GHz Core i7 16GB RAM, OS 10.8.5, Logic Pro X 10.0.7. Apogee Duet Interface.

Aug 24, 2014 8:37 AM in response to MessyBeatz

Its a little bit of a relief to know others are experiencing the same issues. It gives me a little hope in knowing that its not my machine that is about to die.

still.... set that aside it is very annoying to be having this problem and still not knowing what to do to sort it out although i have literally tried everything as you can see from my original post.

😐

Sep 5, 2014 11:34 AM in response to jthill4

WiFi & CPU use.

Welcome to Intel based motherboards... (and more varieties of "Apple" hardware)

Now you see why many of the complaints against Windows was actually the hardware it had to run on, plus dealing with and supporting thousands of hardware combinations. Every new release of OSX over the past two years has cause some kind of Logic snafu.

Sep 16, 2014 10:56 AM in response to MessyBeatz

Messybeatz,

I'm having the exactly same problem. One cpu is spiking, eventually leading to error saying 'error while trying to synchronizing audio and midi'. I have a duet, 2009 mac pro, 16g ram, SSD boot, I write to a separate drive, and a 3rd time machine backup drive. Most Current versions of logic pro x, and mavericks.

I have eliminated every potential problem, spent days on this, tried 3 different interfaces (duet 2 usb, focus rite 18i20 newest version), went to apple genius, apogee tech support, everyone was stumped. I Did a clean wipe and a time machine backup to when before the problem stopped happening, didn't work. Then I Popped in an older hard drive and ran off a different system, problem still there with these sessions.

Certain sessions, I'm running 80 tracks, tons of midi, bussing, tons of instances of individual waves plugins, reverbs, everything. No cpu overloads, no problems. Doesn't matter where I set the buffer.

On other sessions (all recorded around last week), I can have 8 tracks, and ONE cpu is pegged. As an experiment, I took one of those problematic sessions, with 15 audio tracks, and copy and pasted them to a whole new session. I slowly added CLA vox to every track (which I thought was the problem), and the CPU loads were all evenly distributed, and all stayed very low. I went back to that original problematic session, removed all instances of CLA and any other plugins (which alleviated the problem), then slowly started adding CLA back to tracks. With each added plugin, only 1 cpu core rose higher and higher until it crapped out my system. So, right now any sessions i record audio to, those can't handle any plugins, and they spike my cpu, creating horrible distortion, and they are basically unusable.

Apogee support told me they thought it was something called sandboxing coming from plugins, but they really were stumped and could only guess.

I believe that it has something to do with these tracks that I recorded audio to. If I don't record to the session, and just copy and paste audio in there, there are no problems. Every time I try recording to brand new session, and then start using some plugins, the problem comes back. Jacking up the buffer to the maximum, while mixing, alleviates the problem, but it is still there, and of course I shouldn't record with the buffer so high. Yes, I tried the live input thing, selecting blank audio track and setting input to no input. It is not any of the individual hard drives, I ran the sessions from different HD's, booted from a different HD, that didn't fix it. The computer has been rock solid, It can't be a hardware issue, when this thing has handled much crazier sessions with no problem.

I have read every forum, tried every imaginable thing. If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear it! Thank you!

Sep 22, 2014 8:21 AM in response to applepicker1234

Messybeatz,

I am in a similar situation. I have asked many people at Apple but it would seem that no one actually uses the beast with outside plugins so there doesn't seem to be any help there. I have found that for some reason running the fully sweet of Onyx and repairing the HD 'sometimes' works.

Oh and for anyone out there considering buying the new tower: "Don't even THINK about it!". I have thought long and hard about the price and financing the beast but, to my disappointment, if you go to the store and run the built in logic demo song, which certainly isn't robust, the machine will likely crash when you start adjusting the effect's parameters. I have loved logic since it was Notator on an Atari but this CPU issue along with the fact that the new tower doesn't seem to be able to run even the demo song without crashing is driving me nuts.

Sep 22, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Regau

1) Running any of the so called Maintenance / cache cleaners /Tweaking apps like Onyx are actually likely to do more harm than good...... and should be avoided...

2) I have a new Mac Pro here at the studio, on loan from a client.... (8 Core 3.0Ghz / Dual GPU version with 64GB Ram...) running 10.9.4 (and now 10.9.5) and 10.0.7 and no problems running/editing/tweaking fx with the built in Logic demo at all... so I have no idea what the issue is, you are seeing or what causes it for you...

I've been working on it intensively over the last 2 weeks and had no issues of note that don't exist on any other 10.9.4/10.0.7 combo... i.e. known small bugs in Logic /OS X... All 3rd party plugins i use.. (K5/VSL/U-he/Omnisphere/RobPapen etc...) have all worked normally...

(Note: The original version of Logic Pro X did have an issue with the Demo in regards to some of the built in EQ plugins... when used with the new Mac Pros but that was resolved some time ago...)

So.. if you are still able to create this problem with the latest OS X and LPX combination... What error message do you get if any... or what does the crash report say?

Sep 22, 2014 10:49 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Here is exactly what happens: The entire logic interface wiggles back and forth and then the machine crashes completely turning off. You can witness it yourself at the Manhasset store in New York. Just load the demo song and adjust any of the parameters. It's very interesting to see the personnel's panic at the spectacle of the crash. It is not uncommon for Apple to release bump first generation products as I got slammed with the first new powermac of the new design. And with the Pismo. I will always use mac but I will warn everyone when there is a major issue.

Sep 22, 2014 12:04 PM in response to Regau

Please outline the exact steps to recreate this issue and Ill test it out here....

Did that Mac Pro have both 10.9.4 and 10.0.7 installed? (or are they still using earlier versions which is not uncommon..)

Also, what is the hardware specs for that Mac Pro? (Which GPU combo for example?) I ask because it sounds like and could simply b..e a GPU driver issue and it only happens for a certain hardware config and not the one I have here... which is the Dual FirePro D700 and not the D500...

Sep 22, 2014 12:42 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I am not sure about the configuration as it was in the store. What you can do is to call the Manhasset Apple Store in Manhasset New York (Miracle Mile) and ask them what they are demoing on the floor. I have given a great deal of thought to this issue and I think it may be that they have the very first batch that rolled out on display and perhaps modifications for the issue have been made for later ones rolling out.

Is it my Mac or Logic X or something else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.