Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse stops scrolling in Firefox.

I got my new iMac 21.5" about three weeks ago. I had been running Snow Leopard on my old iMac. I am now on Mavericks 10.9.4. For the last day or two, my Magic Mouse will quit scrolling in Firefox (v 31.0). I have restarted the browser a few times; usually this resolves the issue. I just tried again and it didn't work. It's challenging because the problem is intermittent.

Scrolling still seems to work fine in Safari, Word, Excel, Pages, Adobe Reader, Mail (everything else I have tried so far). The last time it quit scrolling, I had just clicked a "See more comments" link in Facebook. The browser window will still move using the arrow keys and the page up and page down buttons. Battery level shows at 48%. The scroll bar appears when I try to scroll with the mouse, but it doesn't want to move.

This is just the latest issue to happen. It feels like every few days something isn't working right. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 10:20 PM

Frankly, I have never heard of a similar problem. You could try resetting the PRAM.....but only one application affected is puzzling.

Barry

11 replies

Aug 9, 2014 12:44 PM in response to JulieH89

I wanted to follow up. It is comforting to hear that others have experienced the problem and that I'm not simply going crazy. After my original post, I have had the issue happen only once (maybe twice?) since then. Maybe my computer has been "shamed" into behaving? 😉 I have wondered if this could be heat related, since it has happened on the hotter days (no air conditioning); but then why just the one program still. Odd.

I will keep in mind resetting the PRAM if the issue arises regularly again. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Sep 9, 2014 3:58 AM in response to JulieH89

I ended up here after experiencing the same problem (seemingly random and intermittent inability to scroll with Magic Mouse or trackpad when using Firefox) and searching Mozilla and Apple support forums. There are a few separate reports in both communities that refer to the issue seeming to exist only when using Firefox with a Magic Mouse. There are, of course, other threads that don't have that specific combination, but the original post is not a unique occurrence.

In my own case, I am experiencing this problem on two MacBook Pros. I did not have this problem until recently. Also recently I bought a Magic Mouse but have no idea how significant that is (the trackpad also becomes unresponsive on both machines). It does seem unlikely to be coincidence, but still could be, of course. Like most people now, I guess, I gave up manual updating of Firefox a while ago to spare myself the constant reminders and so I don't know what version exactly I had when this started but it is now 31.0 (although Firefox is just waiting for me to quit in order to update to 32.0).

If I quit and reopen Firefox, all is well for a while but then the problem returns. I can still scroll by dragging the scroller in the scroll bar (thankfully not completely gone, as yet) and appreciate the comment about using the up arrow and down arrow keys, which I hadn't thought to do. It seemed to be only one of my MacBooks for a few days, but now seems to be both. Somewhat bizarrely, while concluding this post, Firefox on both computers has resumed scrolling without, as far as I can recall, a restart. I'll aim to give an update after a day or two (as so many final posts say...)

Jul 2, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Ian Sillett

I'm having the problem right now [I think for the last three days, actually]. It is crazy-making that my Magic Mouse works consistently in every program BUT Firefox. I'm running Firefox 38.0.5, which is supposed to be the current version for my Mac mini, which is running OS 10.9.5

I assume there's some upgrade that happened in Firefox that triggered the problem but I have no recollection of doing anything in the last three days that would have changed my Mouse settings.

[Learning from other posters on this thread that more things will go wrong when I upgrade to Yosemite is not remotely comforting...

Rhet

Magic Mouse stops scrolling in Firefox.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.