Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First time backup very slow with Time Machine on OS X Mavericks

I have a Mac with OS X Mavericks (10.9.4) installed. I also have a iOmega 4TB NAS used to store data and for system backup too.

Both machines are connected to the home network - Mac on WLAN and NAS on wired LAN.

My Time Machine was configured to backup my system on a regular basis. But since my last move, I setup my NAS only recently, after a gap of about 8 months. Time Machine tried to take a backup - and recommended a new backup - and I agreed to that. Now Time Machine has to backup 597.90GB of data to the NAS. I am facing a couple of speed issues.

Having searched the forum and other sites I tried methods like safe start, repair of the permissions, etc as recommended by other users. This definitely improved the initial speed of the first time backup. Earlier it used to take about a day for 4GB backup. This has improved - now it has taken about 156.70 GB backup in 2.5 days. But still this is painfully slow. What are the reasons? How can I improve the backup speed?

Please help.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 12:15 AM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2014 1:51 PM in response to srnair

A third-party NAS is unsuitable for use with Time Machine, especially if it's your only backup. I know this isn't the answer you want. I know Time Machine accepts the NAS as a backup destination. I know that the manufacturer says the device will work with Time Machine, and I also know that it usually seems to work. Except when you try to restore, and find that you can't.

Apple has published a specification for network devices that work with Time Machine. None of the third-party NAS vendors, as far as I know, meets that specification. They all use the incomplete, obsolete Netatalk implementation of Apple Filing Protocol.

If you want network backup, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external storage device connected to another Mac or to an 802.11ac AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base stations support Time Machine, not any older model.

Otherwise, don't use Time Machine at all. There are other ways to back up, though none of them is anywhere near as efficient or as well integrated with OS X. I don't have a specific recommendation.

If you're determined to keep using the NAS with Time Machine, your only recourse for any problems that result is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple, or you, or anyone but itself.)

First time backup very slow with Time Machine on OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.