Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos missing from menu on AppleTV

9 out of ten times when any AppleTV (x2 gen2, x1 gen3 in house) is navigated from AppleTV Main to Computers (green) > Photos item is missing from list. Not greyed out or dimmed but gone. Then of course at some random day when I least expect it the Photos item will be listed.

All other items are there Music, Movies, TV Shows, Home vides, Podcasts, iTunes U and nothing (most often) where Photos should be ... The iCloud Photos seem to function however always disappointedly slow.

iMac OS, TV's updates, iOS, etc all current & up-to-date, AirPort Time Capsule is wired to all TV's, iMac, wireless to all iOS. Speeds to all devices have been checked and range from 65 to 450 Mb/s, speed to the outside world averages 52MB down & 16MB up - so this should not hinder progress.

I have not been able to determine if it's the order of powering up each item (iMac, TV, ...) OR if the last time used it should be shut down in certain order OR stand on one foot, wait for a full moon? Sadly it works one day and then the next it does not, I cannot determine the circumstances when it does or does not.

I have tried to reboot TV one at a time OR ensuring Time Machine is idle etc but to no avail to force or simply allow the photos to appear. With limited success rebooting Everything at once seems to do the trick but not 100% of the time.

I check and recheck processes running and nothing out of the ordinary raises a brow.

Thoughts, advise or wisdom?

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 12:55 AM

12 replies

Feb 5, 2017 11:11 PM in response to Don Mclellan

Just so people know - I still have this problem today 6th Feb 2017, and have had it on and off for 2 years. With a 3rd gen AppleTV but all other S/W is totally up to date and I have a good WiFi signal.

The Photos menu item comes and goes when I use AppleTV and half the time when I choose Photos, if it is there, the images take forever to load (by forever I mean the AppleTV says loading forever - they never display).

If I restart the AppleTV or iTunes or reset the AppleTV sometimes it will all start working, and sometimes not.

I can't determine any rules here.

Anyone have any advice? Why has Apple never fixed a common problem for over 2 years?

Oh, a partial solution I have is to load all my photos onto my iPhone 6 and display them on my TV, via Airply to my AppleTV, and this always works.

Feb 6, 2017 5:15 AM in response to rodm7

I too see that. My solution is to go in iTunes, File, Home Sharing, Choose Photos to Share with AppleTV.

Then I have two albums with only a few photos. I toggle one on, the other off. I leave the other 40-50 shared albums alone as being shared. This seems to start something on the Mac and the Photos option shows up on the appletv. i usually give it a few minutes before trying to share.

I do this whenever I restart iTunes or the computer.

I see it with the 3 and 4.

Nov 3, 2014 9:16 PM in response to actualccb

Sadly nothing has changed and I am getting used to it, I realize this should not be as it is but I have been using other methods to view photo's.

All this began prior to OS X 10.10 and it still remains today. What I use (with limited ease) is a selection of iCloud based "playlists" to share photo's that can be viewed using the "iCloud Photos" method. It's not automatic as the regular Photos list menu item from the Apple TV < Computers Menu item, since you have to select and have the presence of mind to choose and Share to iCloud Albums. I have also noticed the Apple TV's speed is slow to display any content photo related, music, movies ... are fine.

As clumbsy as the iCloud Albums are for viewing general photos it has a side benefit of appearing on iPhones and iPads but not on a large format of a big screen TV.

Apr 25, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Don Mclellan

Did you find any solution for this? There used to be a menu item for "Photos" under the computer menu in the Apple TV, but there isn't any more since the latest update. It is the same on both Apple TVs (both running the latest software). I've restarted both Apple TVs and the Mac running iTunes and it never shows up.

I do see the photos as an option to use for the screen saver, so I know that the Apple TVs both see the iTunes library. But there is no option that I can find to just do a slideshow from them like there used to be.

Apr 25, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Christian Riley

Again and still nothing has changed and I am getting used to it, I have purchased a nice printer to show / display favorites.

The most current OS's are not helpful but a glimmer of hope in the newest iTunes has a 'home sharing' option to allow the Photo's item to appear on the TV under the Computers item.

This a welcome change but it still does nothing, my excitement seeing the Photos symbol on the 3g TV and the clown fish on 2g TV was dashed by never seeing any images. The spinning 'ball of death' has never stopped, it might stop one day.

Something that comes to mind, would sharing my entire photo library to the cloud speed things up? I do not want to take-on an expense of additional Cloud storage just to see a few images that seem to work (albeit very slow) over a few photo streams of selected images.

Going forward with a decision to migrate to another step in Cloud storage (remembering the utter disaster of contacts in the cloud) will be the stuff of lore for generations around the campfire. Knowing this, should the expense of Cloud storage and pending disaster of many years of images, lost named faces, lost places, lost notes and all the other organizational disasters related to iPhoto and now Photos, I shall ask family to kick me if I think this way again to try and see if this will work.

As I reiterate, clumbsy as the iCloud Albums are for viewing general photos it has a side benefit of appearing on iPhones and iPads but not on a large format of a big screen TV. The Photo stream(s) on all TV's is poorly organized by a yet unknown manner, I thought it was by date or perhaps clock hour but I was wrong. I have circumvented this by taking my 50K+ collection of images and created several streams to narrow the search thus avoiding any time wasted looking for a search that does not exist.

Apr 25, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Don Mclellan

ICloud photo library is not yet supported on Apple TV. The home sharing via photos app is working on my system but there have been a few other case I've encountered like yours, not sure of your setup but they were using an external drive to house the library. If you're still using iPhoto it may be related to a bug, there was a user who had the issue but it was fine after switching to Photos app.

If you can't get it working I'd suggest positing feedback to Apple, add in the comments regarding photo stream as well

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 26, 2015 12:03 AM in response to vazandrew

There was a glimmer of hope today, shortly after I wrote above (about 1 ½ hours) the photos appeared.

Went out for dinner.

Came back and started everything back up as I normally do - Nothing. Checked and unchecked and rechecked settings, stood on one foot - Nothing.

Frankly it all started to a limited degree just before Mavericks era and has continued. During this time I have become complacent with photos not working on any TV (before Yosemite perhaps monthly) however since several iPads came into our possession these have been my goto for images. The preferred method is of course several photo streams shared and not shared which work with acceptable results. Shared photo streams work to a certain level on any TV but certainly not quickly.

May I also add screen savers on TV's & iMac will default to National Geographic often and impossible to predict intervals - I'm beginning to Hate National Geographic. On my iMac I found the folder of images and replaced it with a single image warning me Yosemite has failed once again. I see this image weekly.

I can be reasonable confident the issues are not TV related nor internal network related, the root problem is OS X and the apps iPhoto and now Photos. Serving up content on all devices is instantaneous with a sustained data rate well above normal, except for images and only images.

To address your ponderation of external storage, no, I have heard of horror stories using external drives for photos. Music, Video, TV... are all on external drives (7TB) & backed up to another set of drives. Time capsule is happy looking after images and documents. My thoughts on the iCloud image storage was speaking aloud of perhaps a notion OS X might feel better or work better that I'm not aware, perhaps as well sparking a thought that photo library iCloud storage has a benefit. I will let Apple know of my situation and prepare myself to reinstall everything which I would like to avoid, I would have thought Photos might be fundamentally new but it appears it is using some remnant of iPhoto.

Photos missing from menu on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.