Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 4 connects and disconnects repeatedly when connect to my laptop, how do I fix this?

my iphone 4s connects and disconnects repeatedly when connected via USB to my laptop, how do I fix this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 5:31 AM

12 replies

Aug 5, 2014 9:50 AM in response to ikadeosun

Hello ikadeosun,

Sorry to hear about your iPhone disconnecting from your computer when plugged in through USB. For that issue, try out the troubleshooting below to get it back up and running again. Let me know if this works out for you.

iTunes: Resolve USB-related alerts

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5254

Check connections

Try these steps to check the connection between your device or computer. You might need to do only one of these steps to resolve the issue, so test your connection after each step.

• See if the cable connection at the device or computer has come loose or unplugged.
Unplug the cable you're using to connect your iOS device from the USB port on your computer, and then reconnect it. Then unplug it from your iOS device, and reconnect it.
  • Remove any third-party battery packs or cases from the device and ensure that the USB cable is connected directly to the port on the device.
  • If your Lightning or 30-pin cable is connected to a keyboard, display or USB hub, try plugging it directly into a USB port on the computer instead.
  • Close any virtualization apps (such as Parallels or VMWare).
These apps may interfere with your computer's ability to communicate over USB if they aren't properly configured, or up to date. If this resolves the issue, contact the developer of the app to see if an update is available.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  • If you're using an accessory or third-party cable to connect your device, try using an Apple cable with the device instead.
  • Update to the latest version of iTunes if you haven't already.
  • Disconnect other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then, reconnect your iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect the other USB devices one at a time. Make sure your iOS device is still recognized by the computer after adding back each device.

If one of these steps resolves the issue, but it comes back later, make sure you haven't changed how the device is connected. For example, check to see if you plugged the device into a specific accessory, or used a specific cable that reintroduced the issue.

Sync wirelessly

You can also sync with your iOS device over Wi-Fi instead of USB.

Learn more

Get help if you see one of these alerts:

The USB chipset on some non-Apple computers may interfere with syncing.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jun 30, 2015 12:35 PM in response to SquirrellPP

Have you tried a different cable? A different USB port? Are you using a hub? If so, connect directly. If you're not using a hub, try one. (Unbelievably, someone in another thread said that solved their issue!) If you're using a desktop computer and connecting with a port in the front, try one in the back. Try it on someone else's computer.

If all these fail, make an appointment at your nearest Apple Store Genius Bar to have the device evaluated by the techs there. Best of luck.

Jul 5, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Ricky507

this has happened to me over a couple of months now. i have a late 2013 imac that i got august 2014. ive tried new cables (apple ones of course), i checked all the usb ports and checked the phone itself, i disconnected all other usb devices, i updated iphone and imac, and i even got a new iphone yesterday.... and STILL have the same issue. im tired of going to gym with the same playlist.... im calling apple first thing come monday.

Jan 12, 2016 12:05 AM in response to Jornada123

Wow --- strangely this worked. I bought a replacement charger wire for my iPhone 5s, and after trying to use it to connect to my Macbook (late 2013), it rapidly connected/disconnected.

I followed what Jornada123 suggested, and checked "Show Percentage" on my laptop's battery at the top right hand corner and then unchecked it. Now my wire works without the rapid disconnections. Hopefully this will stay working for awhile!

my iphone 4 connects and disconnects repeatedly when connect to my laptop, how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.