Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Indexing?

I've never seen this before, but I went up to Spotlight and it was indexing. What is this, how often does it happen, and what does it mean?

I've had a few weird things happen in the past 10 minutes where my computer completely froze, I hit the power button to reboot it, then I had a prompt come up asking for my FaceTime ID. From there I noticed the Spotlight Indexing thing.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 10:11 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Bluebuck

When the Mac is first started up after say an OS X reinstall or a large amount of data is moved, the system executes a stoplight search. Its normal, just let it finish indexing (depending on the amount of data on your mac may take some time). Its only finding the files on the hard drive in the background so when you type the desired file you are trying to find into spotlight it finds that required file quickly without searching the whole system again.

Spotlight Indexing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.