Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting .mpg footage

I have some very valuable footage that I was given in the .mpg format. The only app that could open it was VLC.

I tried to import it to FCP(6), but no dice, wouldn't take it.

Would like eventually to import for use in an apple prores timeline.

Any suggestions as to how to handle/convert this footage?

Many thanks,

MP

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), FCP(6)

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 11:54 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2014 4:48 AM in response to Marco_Polo

on OSX lion or later, quicktime X includes mpeg2 functionality. that is why you cannot buy - you own it already.

nevertheless, streamclip needs the component.

since i always have owned quicktime pro and still have quicktime 7 on my system, i never ran into that problem.

but many people do - there is some help on the square5 website. i found the text below in a forum post, it is from square5. just check whether this is correct for your version of streamclip.

good luck!

Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion and Mountain Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion or Mountain Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b8 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component M. Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion or Mountain Lion.

The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion and Mountain Lion.

For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion and Mountain Lion. 
You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Converting .mpg footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.