Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my camera work in Facebook video call?

Have a new MacBook Pro running Mavericks. When I tried to use the video call feature in Facebook, it told me I didn;t have the necessary java to execute the install. I downloaded the file suggested online (Java for OS X 2014-001: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 web plug-in and Web Start features) and the install went through. However, when I try to make a call it connects, I can see the other person's video and hear her/him but my camera does not activate (No green light. Person being called can hear me, but no picture appears for them). FaceTime works fine. Skype works fine. Google+ Hangout asks me to give permission to use camera, but hangs up. I also tried to make a FB video call in Safari and that did not work either (same problem).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), built-in camera not working

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 1:04 PM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2014 1:07 PM in response to EZ Jim

I've searched all through the FB help section... and nothing helpful to be found. Additionally, it's not just Facebook. As I mentioned, Chrome crashes/locks up when I try to start a video hangout (which requires I give permission for using my camera). I think it's something Java-related based on the what I've been able to find online, but I'm not experienced enough with Java or using the Terminal commands to really make any headway on my own.

Aug 5, 2014 8:12 AM in response to varhodes

varhodes wrote: ... Chrome crashes... I think it's something Java-related...

Chrome Help Center

How do I use Java with the Google Chrome browser?

If all else fails, Isolating issues in Mac OS X. You may need to erase your disk and reinstall Apple only software. Then reinstall and thoroughly test items one at a time to find which one is causing the conflict you are experiencing.

Why won't my camera work in Facebook video call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.