Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock my disabled iPod touch that hasn't been synced to a computer?

My iPod touch has been disabled to the point where it says to connect to iTunes. But it hasn't been connected to a computer. When i plug it into a computer, it says that i need to get on my iPod and unlock it b4 it can sync and be fixed. But i can't do that. I have tried the recovery mode (where you hold down the home button until it lets you restore) and it didn't work. please help.

iPod touch, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 4:13 PM

11 replies

Aug 4, 2014 10:15 AM in response to DCBurdette

Disabled

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

If you previously turned on FIndMyiPod on the iPod in Settings>iCloud and wifi is on and connected go to iCloud: Find My iPhone, sign in and go to FIndMyiPhone and use Remote Wipe to erase the contents of your device. If you have been using iCloud to back up, you may be able to restore the most recent backup to reset the passcode after the device has been erased.

You can also wipe the iOS device by installing the FindMyiPhone app on another iOS device and using that app to wipe the device.

Place the iPod in recovery mode using one of these programs and then restore via iTunes:

For PC

RecBoot: Easy Way to Put iPhone into Recovery Mode

or

http://joshuabailey1997.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/recboot-v1-3/

If necessary:

Download QTMLClient.dll & iTunesMobileDevice.dll for RecBoot

and

RecBoot tip

RecBoot may have problems on 64X windows, then try:

Tenorshare ReiBoot – Enter & Exit iPhone, iPad, iPod Recovery Mode with a Single Click

For MAC or PC

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Installs blootware on PC too

Try another cable and another computer

Aug 4, 2014 10:20 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I plugged it in and got to the point where it is in recovery mode and the computer gives me the option to restore. i click that and it says, "restore and update". that is the only button i can push, so i click it. It starts normally saying that its doing its thing but about 5 minutes into it, it brings up the message "iTunes can not connect to iPod touch because it has a password, Please put in the password on iPod touch" (I've been given this alert when trying to just plug into the computer.) once it says that, it goes back to the disabled screen telling me to connect to iTunes. but iTunes has the update still going. I wait that out and it finally finishes, processes it, then is done......ipod is exactly how it was when i started, still disabled and saying to connect to iTunes.

Aug 4, 2014 10:25 AM in response to DCBurdette

Try disabling the computer's antivirus and firewall.

- Next try the manual install method of:

iDevice Troubleshooting 101 :: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

Place the iPod in recovery mode after the firmware download is complete and then restore using the instructions in the article. Sometimes recovery mode timeouts and returns to disabled before the firmware download is complete.

- Then try on another computer

Jun 8, 2015 2:11 AM in response to lllaass

Same exact thing happened to me... The recovery mode wasn't working or anything but then i tried it one more time and it worked.... All you need to do is when it says to -

Press and hold the Home button and plug the device into your computer. If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on. Don't release the Home button.

you need to press the home button and then plug it in.. instead of at same time or after!!!! hope this helped!

Good Luck

Charlie 🙂

Nov 15, 2015 11:41 AM in response to DCBurdette

I am in a similar pickle.

My son dropped and broke his screen for his iPod 5 touch.

When we eventually got the screen replaced it read

"Ipod is disabled. Please wait 23,854,232 minutes"

I was told that if I connect it to the Mac he sync'd and backed it up with it should then display "Slide to unlock"

I was also told that I could use FindMyIphone to wipe it or do whatever.

The problem is, the wifi is turned off..

Is there any way I can turn on the wifi on this iPod while it's disabled?

I cannot believe Apple doesn't have a way to get these open if you KNOW THE PASSCODE.

Two reasons why I object to this:

1)If it were stolen and recovered and the thief put the device in this state, the legitimate owner who knows the passcode has no means to recover the device (and maintain the data)

2)It is entirely possible to allow the computer upon which it was synced to let the user input the correct passcode.

The fact that this current state is possible is appalling.

I know the sole answer from apple would be "Well you should backup. We also offer iCloud space" etc etc

and I get that and I am sure my son will do this now.. BUT it is impossible to always have everything always backed up.

When you buy in-app or have metadata (save games etc) or took a bunch of pics, you won't always have the luxury of the cloud or a pc...

Sometimes you go to a remote cabin and fish on the lake and take pictures of important moments. It would be really nice to know that if this stupid 23 million minute crap happens, your data is safe.

There is secure and then there is use prohibitive...

I view this bug/feature as just that.

I also refuse to believe that it is truly impossible for me to gain access to this device by ANY means full well knowing the proper passcode.

Ridiculous.

So anyone know if I can enable wifi?

How do I unlock my disabled iPod touch that hasn't been synced to a computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.