Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending a network with two Airport Extreme Base Stations

I am trying to extend my network with two Airport Extreme Base Stations. They are both 4th generation base stations. One I have had for a long time with and it works with no problems. The other I just bought used today and I am trying to get it set up. The configuration I want to utilize is a wireless extended network. I have a wireless thermostat now and need a strong internet connection close to it since its antenna is incredibly poor.

I have followed Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) this guide and have been extraordinarily unsuccessful. I have been able to configure the extended network over Ethernet but that does not work for what I want and need to do.

If anyone has some Ideas I surely would appreciate the help. I think I am really close but am missing something that is key to the process. I am using Airport Utility 6.3.2.

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 6:24 PM

I have followed Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) this guide and have been extraordinarily unsuccessful.

Unfortunately, this support document is at least 3 years out of date, and would have little to no relationship to AirPort Utility 6.3.2.

Do you by chance have an iPhone or iPad handy that is running iOS 6 or higher? We ask since Mavericks has more bugs than it should, and the iOS version of the setup utility is a better bet.

Before we proceed, it might be useful to point out (since Apple really does not) that extending using wireless will normally half the bandwidth and speed on your network, so if it is possible for you to connect the AirPorts using an Ethernet connection, that would be the way to go to preserve the bandwidth on the network.

We understand that you already have one AirPort Extreme that is setup to "create" a wireless network, correct?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2014 6:24 PM in response to ipodmongo

I have followed Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) this guide and have been extraordinarily unsuccessful.

Unfortunately, this support document is at least 3 years out of date, and would have little to no relationship to AirPort Utility 6.3.2.

Do you by chance have an iPhone or iPad handy that is running iOS 6 or higher? We ask since Mavericks has more bugs than it should, and the iOS version of the setup utility is a better bet.

Before we proceed, it might be useful to point out (since Apple really does not) that extending using wireless will normally half the bandwidth and speed on your network, so if it is possible for you to connect the AirPorts using an Ethernet connection, that would be the way to go to preserve the bandwidth on the network.

We understand that you already have one AirPort Extreme that is setup to "create" a wireless network, correct?

Aug 4, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I don't think my response came through to your questions.

Yes, I have an iOS 6 or higher device (my iPhone).

Yes, I have created a wireless network.

Yes, I understand that a Wireless Network type setup will reduce my overall bandwidth. However, I am mainly setting this up t osatisfy a wireless Thermostat on my 1st floor that has a really poor antenna (thus poor reception).

I am hoping that there is some simple solution that I am NOT seeing or I can utilize a different Airport utility that will yield better results.

Any comments ?

Aug 4, 2014 10:26 AM in response to ipodmongo

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Locate the extending AirPort Extreme approximately half to two thirds the distance from the "main" Extreme to the thermostat

Power up the extending Extreme for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back for 8-10 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

On the iPhone home screen.....

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for a listing or heading of SETUP A NEW AIRPORT BASE STATION

Just below that, tap on AirPort Extreme

The setup utility will open up and take a minute to analyze the network, then suggest that the Extreme be setup to extend the "main" Extreme

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Extreme and tap Next

The utility will set up everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

You may need to experiment a bit with the placement of the extending Extreme for best results. The more that you have line-of-sight between the two AirPorts, the better the signal quality will be.

Extending a network with two Airport Extreme Base Stations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.