4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2014 3:47 PM by mpike123
mpike123 Level 1 Level 1

Hi

My current project was shot on the Red Epic in 4k.  I used Davinci Resolve to transcode the footage to Apple ProRes Proxy and edited in FCP 7. 

The edit is pretty much locked I need to get some shots over to are VFX guys and they want the footage as DXP Apple ProRes 4444. 

Now I tried creating these in Colour but I found that this created a black frame around the shot.  I have tried just taking in it into FCP 7 through the log and transfer but when I imported it it comes out at 1920x1080.

I don't have the full version of Davinci Resolve either so any shot I try and export the maximum it can do is 1920x1080.

I am sure there is something really obvious I am missing with this workflow but any suggestion as to what I can do would be much appreciated.

From Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Shane Ross Level 8 Level 8

You'll need to get a full version of Resolve and send an EDL to that, relink to the master footage and export what is needed.  Because you can't batch capture this in FCP, because you didn't use LOG AND TRANSFER to begin with.  You can try to manually L&T the original footage...meaning note the source clip name, and TCs, and import that footage via L&T. 

• mpike123 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks for responding Shane

I tried to manually L&T the original footage and that comes in at 1920x1080 as well.

• Shane Ross Level 8 Level 8

Odd. Mine comes in fine. As 2K, because they shot 2K.  Did you go into the L&T preferences and change the codec to ProRes 4444?  Do you have the latest RED plugin installed?

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.47.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 3.49.21 AM.png

• mpike123 Level 1 Level 1

Just download the recent red plugin and even tried opening a new project and still when I used the log and transfer it came out in 1920X1080.  What seems to be happening is when it goes into FCP through the L&T it seems to halfing the dimensions of the original footage is there anything that can be done about this?