Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repartitioning my disks, problems.

I recently installed the Yosemite Beta preview, for which I had created a separate partition of 100 GB called "Yosemite Beta" from the 500 GB Macintosh HD.

After doing this, (since I previously had problems with OS X Mavericks), I used the recovery disk to format the Mavericks partition. All fine till then.

But after this, I needed to combine both the previous Mavericks partition(395 GB) with my current Yosemite Beta partition. But I am not able to use the "-" sign to delete the Mavericks partition because "this partition can't be modified". It also looks like I have lost my Macintosh HD in the process. My current disk map looks like this:

User uploaded file

Things to note: User uploaded file

1. Yosemite Beta(at the very top, where Macintosh HD is supposed to be) is just 103 GB and of type Logical volume Group.

2. MAVERICKS is mounted on /Volumes and not on / (Looks like its no more a part of my main partition system).

Now I wish to add all the 395 GB of Mavericks space into my regular Yosemite Beta. Moreover, how can I rename "Yosemite Beta" back to "Macintosh HD"?

I'm ready to post any other required information to love this problem. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 7:24 AM

Your Yosemite partition is a Logical Volume Group or CoreStorage file system. With CoreStorage, you can't resize partitions "outside" of it.

Is FileVault turned on? If not, basically what you can do is revert your Yosemite partition back to HFS+ by issuing Terminal commands. This DOES work and is non-destructive. First, you need to know the disk identifier.

Open Terminal.

Type: diskutil cs list

Post the results here.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2014 7:24 AM in response to Aditya108

Your Yosemite partition is a Logical Volume Group or CoreStorage file system. With CoreStorage, you can't resize partitions "outside" of it.

Is FileVault turned on? If not, basically what you can do is revert your Yosemite partition back to HFS+ by issuing Terminal commands. This DOES work and is non-destructive. First, you need to know the disk identifier.

Open Terminal.

Type: diskutil cs list

Post the results here.

Aug 6, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Aditya108

Thanks!

You can use the revert command to revert your Yosemite CoreStorage volume to HFS+ by opening Terminal and typing diskutil cs revert disk1. The process just takes a couple of minutes.

Now, once you revert the Yosemite partition back to HFS+ and since your Mavericks partition is above your Yosemite partition, you won't be able to delete the Mavericks partition and resize UP from your Yosemite partition. Instead, you will have to block-copy your Yosemite partition into Mavericks; then delete the bottom Yosemite partition and resize downwards.

You can perform the block-copy by selecting your Yosemite partition as the Startup Disk and press Command+R at restart. This will take you into the Yosemite Recovery HD. From there you can use Disk Utility, select your Yosemite partition, click on the Restore tab, click/drag the Mavericks partition to your Destination field and click the Restore button. After the block-copy completes you will have two Yosemite Beta partitions. Make sure you select the TOP one as your Startup Disk within the Recovery HD by clicking the Apple logo (upper left corner). Finally, after you boot into your TOP Yosemite Beta partition you can go into Disk Utility, delete the BOTTOM Yosemite Beta partition and resize the TOP downward to use all the drive for your Yosemite Beta partition.

Nov 6, 2014 10:10 PM in response to ondrej.kovarik

I have similar problem, I had a Yosemite partition on my SSD, and I deleted it without turning off FileVault. Now I have free space that I can't use for anything. I can't resize it or create new partition. (After creating a partition on that free space, clicking apply and save everything is just gone, and there is free space again) Please help me with thatUser uploaded file

Nov 6, 2014 10:36 PM in response to Aditya108

I have similar problem, I had a Yosemite partition on my SSD, and I deleted it without turning off FileVault. Now I have free space that I can't use for anything. I can't resize it or create new partition. (After creating a partition on that free space, clicking apply and save everything is just gone, and there is free space again) Please help me with that

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2014 1:37 AM in response to Community User

I just solved that problem on my own. But If anyone will have trouble with that like me, I just created second partition on Macintosh HD, and then deleted the second partition. After that I was able to finally merge them

Dec 19, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Community User

Thanks Dziagv!

I just encountered this issue today, with being unable to revert my existing partitions, and I didn't feel comfortable working in the terminal, as that method seemed a bit convoluted and labor intensive for the my frustrated state. Your suggestion of adding another partition worked perfectly. It automatically took the "free space" partition that my Bootcamp Win 7 OS used to occupy, and merged it with the new partition I had just made. I was then able to simply remove the new partition, via "-" and my HD is restored.

Thank you!!

Repartitioning my disks, problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.