Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone used Migration Assistant to move services from one system running Server to a new system?

So, I've purchased a Mac mini to replace my aging Mid 2009 mini on which I've been running Mavericks Server. In trying to answer the question of how best to move services from the old machine to the new, I've stumbled into the fact that Migration Assistant can apparently migrate not just user data for workstations and laptops, but also service data for servers. The problem is there isn't much detail in the docs about how good a job it does when going from one machine to another without changing OS releases. There's a very detailed document in the KB about going from older versions of Server to new (OS X Server: Upgrade and migration from Lion Server or Snow Leopard Server) and a general doc on migrating from another Mac under Mavericks (OS X: How to migrate data from another Mac using Mavericks) but that has no details about Server.

Has anyone used Migration Assistant to move services from one system running Server to a new system? Are there any details that are particularly important to get right? Are there things that require manual steps after Migration Assistant is done?

There are other ways I could tackle the problem, of course. I could simply swap drives between the systems, but the new system has two drives that are bigger, faster, and I intend to mirror them. That would complicate such an approach. I'd really like to keep the conversation constrained to a discussion of Migration Assistant as the primary method.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 7:05 AM

2 replies

Has anyone used Migration Assistant to move services from one system running Server to a new system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.