Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse arrow pointer changes to a hand

In Pages my mouse pointer arrow changes to a hand - not the “baseball mitt”-type hand (that’s the best way I can describe it!) with a pointing finger that appears when using Safari and you point to a link; not that hand, but the hand you get with Adobe Reader when you’re viewing a pdf. Sometimes the hand goes away and the arrow reappears, but then the hand comes back. Sometimes I get not a hand but a cross-hair. I read somewhere that I must go to Library>Internet plug-ins, and delete Adobe Viewer plug-ins, but I went there and couldn’t find any. How can I get the arrow back permanently?

MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013. OS X 10.9.4

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I use Pages ’09 Version 4.3 - Pages 5 is useless to me

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 1:59 AM

I too was struggling with this issue. Everytime I had to restart my Mac but I figured a solution this time which I suppose will work for you.

Try a three finger swipe (left to right) on your touchpad and that should take you to the dashboard screen and when get you back, you will find your mouse arrow cursor back.

This worked for me, hope it does for you too.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 1:59 AM in response to NLMza

I too was struggling with this issue. Everytime I had to restart my Mac but I figured a solution this time which I suppose will work for you.

Try a three finger swipe (left to right) on your touchpad and that should take you to the dashboard screen and when get you back, you will find your mouse arrow cursor back.

This worked for me, hope it does for you too.

Aug 4, 2014 2:11 PM in response to NLMza

The Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-ins, if installed, are only pertinent to Safari, as Chrome and Firefox have their own PDF capability. Whatever has happened, to your Pages ’09 session, I cannot replicate the change in mouse pointer shape that you have experienced. I suggest you reboot your Mac, and evaluate if these artifacts continue.

Aug 4, 2014 11:28 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply. I have had this problem for some weeks now. It comes and goes. The hand is the "Hand Tool" from Adobe Reader that appears when viewing a pdf in Adobe Reader. When I switch back to Pages my mouse/trackpad arrow pointer may be there for a while, but then it mostly changes into the Adobe "hand". I have noticed that this Adobe hand also appears instead of the arrow sometimes when using Safari.

Aug 6, 2014 7:43 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you for your attempt to help me, but I'm wondering if you read my post carefully enough because I said it is not the "baseball mitt" (I've also seen it described as a "Mickey Mouse glove") grab cursor/link pointer that is giving me problems, i.e. it is NOT this icon that is causing me the trouble:

User uploaded file

What my problem is, is that sometimes when I am working in Pages (even when it is a text-only document with no images), the mouse/trackpad pointer arrow, i.e. this:

User uploaded file

changes into this:

User uploaded fileThis as I said, is the "Hand Tool" that I get on the screen when I read a pdf in Adobe Reader. It is a normal Adobe icon one sees all the time when one is using Adobe. See bottom right corner in the pic below.

User uploaded file

I know that that's what it is because if I switch my Mac on in the morning to work on it, and I open Pages, and Adobe Reader is NOT open, I have no trouble and the mouse arrow pointer appears as it should. But then if I later open Adobe Reader, and read a pdf for example, when I go back to Pages, sometimes - not always - the mouse arrow will change into the Adobe Hand Tool. Sometimes it repeatedly changes between the arrow and the hand WHEN I ONLY HAVE TEXT ON THE PAGE - it has got nothing to do with hovering over images and shapes. If I want to select something from a drop-down menu, sometimes I will get the hand again (NOT the "Mickey Mouse glove") instead of the pointer arrow. It is an intermittent problem; it comes and goes. Sometimes I can work for hours and

there will be no problem, but then suddenly the problem will recur - in a Pages document with text only, no images.

By the way, the cross-hairs that appear sometimes (very seldom compared to the hand), also instead of the pointer arrow, are also the cross-hairs that I know from Adobe, not the ones that I know from Apple. There is clearly some problem of "interference" from Adobe Reader into my Pages programme - why I am I seeing icons from Adobe Reader (the hand tool and the cross-hairs) in Pages, icons that replace the arrow pointer, and how can I stop this - that's what I want to know! I might add that sometimes when I go into Adobe, this hand icon flickers very rapidly for maybe 20 seconds before it stabilises, which again indicates to me that there is some problem with it. I searched this forum some months ago to see if anyone had a similar problem, and I did find someone with exactly the same problem, but I can't find it now. The advice given to that person was to remove the Adobe Internet plug-ins, but I can't find any in Library>Internet plug-ins, and also to submit a bug feedback report to Apple (I have done that).

I might add that in Safari, the problem also happens. The arrow pointer is replaced by the hand tool - NOT by the link pointer "Mickey Mouse glove". In fact sometimes in Safari the link pointer "Mickey Mouse glove" is replaced by the hand tool.

So I hope I have made the problem clear! I don't think I have misunderstood what is going on.

Aug 6, 2014 1:25 PM in response to NLMza

Believe me I read your post most carefully, and you have just contradicted yourself again. What you are showing is the opposite of what you saying.

Which one am I supposed to pick?

I did not show you the Link cursor, which is also not the "Adobe Reader" cursor, I showed you the Grabber cursor. Adobe does not create or own these cursors they are all Mac OSX cursors and mean various things.

User uploaded fileThe Link cursor appears over links such as website URLs or eMail addresses. Or in Pages '09 mookmarks.

User uploaded file The Grabber cursor appears as I showed over images in Pages that you can move to recrop.

User uploaded fileThe Crosshair cursor does what I demonstrated which is select an area of text.

There is not "clearly some problem of "interference" from Adobe Reader into my Pages programme".

You are leaping to the wild conclusion, when you see the same (consistent) User Interface in two different applications, that one is affecting the other.

That is like saying one man is controlling another because they are both wearing hats.

On a very long shot, I can't see your screen, you may have corrupted .plists.

Peter

Nov 16, 2014 5:20 AM in response to NLMza

Without wishing to be rude, I think Peter is completely missing the point. I fully understand what you are saying as I have exactly the same problem - why is it so difficult to understand? My mouse pointer has started changing to a hand (not a pointing hand) EVEN WHEN I do not want to move something or highlight something or do anything else that might make it do so - it just changes and then will change back - as simple as that, today it has started changing!!!!! NLMza did you manage to get to the bottom of it please? if so would appreciate your help.......... Please don't reply Peter as I don't think you are understanding the problem, whichever way you try to illustrate it.

Nov 16, 2014 5:33 AM in response to NoisyParkser

I think you are missing Peter's point; the cursor changes automatically based on the context where you put it. That is normal behavior. The system doesn't know what you "want" to do, it just knows what it can do at the location in which you have placed it. If you put it where the possible function is to drag an object, it changes to the hand to let you know that that is what can be done in that context.

Nov 27, 2015 2:06 PM in response to NLMza

I had your problem… and was frustrated of not finding a way to get rid of the hand tool. Then, I was reading a downloaded PDF in Safari, and right clicked and saw the option to switch the hand tool to arrow, just like if I was in adobe reader. I selected the arrow and then the hand stop showing in all my apps… Crazy.

So easy fix, but not logical -- It may be the result of some kind of glitch or bug.

Nov 27, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Unknown user.

When you install Adobe Acrobat Reader, it also overrides the default OS X PDF browser plug-in with Adobe's Reader PDF browser plug-in. When you display a PDF in Safari, it is Adobe that is permitting you to change the application icon style from the default hand (move) icon to the pointer (select) icon. After all, try selecting text in a PDF document with the hand icon. Nope. Close this PDF browser tab, and these settings are no longer relevant to Safari, or any other installed OS X application.

As has been succinctly explained by Peter and Jeff, these icons are dynamic based on your mouse actions within an application, or document objects that trigger the type of icon presentation. These icons may have been in the Apple Lisa long before Adobe Systems, the X Window System, Mac OS, Windows, NeXTSTEP, Linux, or OS X.

Dec 8, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Unknown user.

We have the same problem with Apple Mail. The "hand" appears when you bring the mouse into the toolbar. The "hand" does not appear to do anything, like move the toolbar icons, but if clicked it places that mail item in the trash? It's not a dealbreaker but it is annoying. If there is a way to change the status of the mouse pointer I would like to know about it.

Mouse arrow pointer changes to a hand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.