Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get new install of iTunes to recognize media on external drive

Hi all,

Searched the database to see if anyone had a similar problem to mine. Some were close but the solutions did not solve my problem.

I keep my iTunes media on an external hard drive. I'm trying to migrate to a new Windows 8.1 computer from an older Windows 7.

I downloaded iTunes onto the new computer. I don't know if this was necessary but I copied the only iTunes folder from the old computer, C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes, and pasted it to the same location in the new computer. I plugged in the external drive and insured the drive letter was the same as it was on the old computer. The path to my music on the old system was as follows, F:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music. I launched iTunes and created this same path under the advanced tab. My music collection does not appear in iTunes.

I tried launching iTunes by holding down the shift key and selecting "choose library." When I try following this same path to the external drive, F:\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music, it will not launch the program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 10:35 AM

28 replies

Aug 4, 2014 4:01 PM in response to skiman1818

OK. That folder is a little deeper than it ought to be.

1. If there are any files inside F:\iTunes or folders called Album Artwork or Previous iTunes Libraries move these into a temporary location such as F:\Temp.
  2. Copy the library files, and the Album Artwork folder from the folder C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes into F:\iTunes
  3. Shift-start-iTunes and open the library database at F:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
  4. Go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and change the media folder to F:\iTunes\iTunes Music
  5. Go to File > Library > Organize Library... and tick the box Rearrange files in the folder "iTunes Music" if it isn't greyed out and click OK, otherwise click cancel and go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced, turn Keep iTunes Media folder organized off, click OK, then go back and turn it on again.
  6. Close iTunes. Rename the folder F:\iTunes\iTunes Music as F:\iTunes\iTunes Media
  7. Start iTunes. Check under Edit > Preferences > Advanced that the media folder has been updated to F:\iTunes\iTunes Media, if not correct it then close iTunes and reopen.
  8. Double check that your library is behaving as it should. Close iTunes. Safely disconnect the drive.
  9. Connect the drive to the new computer.
  10. Shift-start-iTunes and open the library database at F:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl

Get yourself another external drive and Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy or clone the library to the internal and switch to that copy if your new machine has enough room.

tt2

Aug 4, 2014 5:37 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2,

You Sir are an absolute genius! Followed your instructions to the letter and my library appears to be up and running normally on my new computer. I cannot thank you enough! You've saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

I think I will also take your advice and transfer my media to the hard drive on the new system. There just seems to be too many problems maintaining the media on an external drive when the time comes to move to a new computer.

Thank you!

Paul

Aug 4, 2014 11:33 PM in response to skiman1818

You're welcome. 🙂

As long as the library is in a portable shape it doesn't matter where it lives because each subsequent move of the iTunes folder as a complete unit is simple. The key is to maintain a backup of your iTunes library, and your other documents and data, so that should one of the drives fail you don't lose your stuff.

BTW there will be two .xml files in the folder F:\iTunes. iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Music Library.xml. You should delete the second of these as it is no longer being updated. If you decide to move the library to the standard location of C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes then iTunes will start using the other name for the .xml and you should delete iTunes Library.xml. The .xml (whatever name it is given) is automatically updated with each change in the library and is there to allow third party software to interrogate the library.

tt2

Aug 5, 2014 7:29 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm not diligent at backing up as often as I should but I do maintain a copy of my media files on a second external drive.

I will be upgrading the hard drive in this new computer to a Samsung 840 EVO-Series 1TB SSD in the very near future. Once I do I'll clone the library to the new hard drive.

Thank you again for the help and information. 🙂

Paul

Dec 3, 2014 8:42 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2, I hope you are monitoring this thread. You seem to understand how iTunes works as regards the location of the iTunesMedia folder. I have a problem that is similar to skiman1818, but it is enough different that I am not able to transfer your solution of his problem to my problem.

Here it is in a nutshell.

1. I added a drive to my computer and installed windows 7 and iTunes 12 on it. It became my boot drive.

2. I kept the iTunes Media folder on the old boot drive, which is now my second drive. The iTunes Media folder and all of its contents are EXACTLY THE SAME as they were before, but the drive letter is now E, not C. The iTunes Media folder was being totally managed by iTunes 12 before, so everything should be completely compatible.

3. So, how do I make iTunes 12 recognize that the iTunes Media folder is now on E, not on C?

Thanks,

Ken

Dec 3, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Boomer45

Start iTunes while holding down the SHIFT key. You'll get this prompt:

User uploaded file

Click on Choose Library ... and browse to the location of your iTunes library (which, based on your info, should be E:\Users\user_name\Music\iTunes. Select the iTunes Library.itl file and click Open. iTunes will now being using E: rather than C: as the library location.

Dec 3, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Boomer45

I hope the iTunes folder is also still in place on drive E:\, presumably at E:\Users<User>\Music\iTunes with the iTunes Media folder inside it. See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows to make sure your new account is able to properly access the files on the old drive, then shift-start-iTunes and connect to the library at E:\Users<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.

You may want to move the iTunes folder up to E:\iTunes so that it is easier to clear some of the content from your old drive that you no longer need.

tt2

Can't get new install of iTunes to recognize media on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.