Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5s's EarPods button stopped working

My iPhone 5s 's EarPods's buttons stopped working today. The mic and sound are perfectly fine, but the volume and central control doesn't anymore. It was working fine this morning and then I dropped my phone from my desk to the floor. The phone works just fine with out a scratch, but the buttons are not working anymore. Is it because of the jack? what should I do?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 2:53 PM

2 replies

Aug 6, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Bearjessie

Hi Bearjessie,

If you have issues with your iPhone’s EarPods buttons not functioning properly you may want to use the steps in this article to troubleshoot -

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

Specifically -

The stereo headset buttons are not functioning properly

1. Verify the headset being used is compatible with the iPhone.
  2. Verify there is no debris in the headset jack.
  3. Insert the stereo headset and play audio using the Music app. Verify both left and right channels are functioning.
  4. Press the center button to see if it can pause and resume audio.
  5. Make a phone call and see if the microphone is working.
  6. If the issue persists, try another headset.
  7. If the issue persists with another headset, have the iPhone serviced.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Oct 11, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Bearjessie

I had the same problem. Just clean the 3.5 mm jack! It will fix non working +/- and play/pause buttons. I cleaned the jack with a swiss army knife toothpick. You guys have no idea how much sht I pulled from inside.

My iPhone 5s's EarPods button stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.