Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto-lock has only 2 minutes or 5 minutes. What happened to "never"?

I updated my software to 7.1.2 and lost the "never" setting on auto-lock. Very frustrating to have it lock after 5 minutes. How do I disable this? iPad 3...

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 5:39 AM

Did your iPad come from another source...such as is it school or work provided? If so, they can and do lock things out. I know where I work all iDevices must have a passcode lock and the user cannot alter that.

18 replies

Aug 5, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Hutchoo

Imobl and skydiver are both correct. Security features can be modified/restricted by corporate and school issued ios devices. Imobl's point has nothing to do with being "networked", connected with wifi or through your cell provider. It has to do with WHAT you are accessing. For instance I connected my personal iPad's Mail app to my employer's email system (Microsoft Exchange) so I can receive my work email on my iPad. This is done behind the scenes by a software standard called ActiveSync built into Apple IOS and Microsoft Windows. Once I did this my security features were instantly tightened down on my iPad - I am now required to enter a complex password to log onto my iPad instead of a simple 4 digit code; my password expires every month and must be changed; I do not have an option to leave my iPad unlocked. The point being interfacing with certain "outside" software products that are security conscious - my employers email system in my example - have the ability to modify your IOS Settings and options available to you.

Aug 5, 2014 8:08 AM in response to robdrage

Yes, that was it. The school board changed the available settings with their profile. This did not apply under the old software I guess.

School has been out for 6 weeks so I did not check that! Thank you so much! I deleted the profile and sent IT a note, but they don't care, they're probably out fishing.... My iPad is back to normal!

Aug 5, 2014 8:14 AM in response to Skydiver119

Yes, that was it. The school board changed the available settings with their profile. This did not apply under the old software I guess.

School has been out for 6 weeks so I did not check that! Thank you so much! I deleted the profile and sent IT a note, but they don't care, they're probably out fishing.... My iPad is back to normal!

BTW I deleted the school board App that allowed me to use my iPad on their network.

Auto-lock has only 2 minutes or 5 minutes. What happened to "never"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.