Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open a file automatically with a specific application in Safari

Hi Folks,

in Safari, I want to open a file type automatically with a specific application. As for now, when I open the file in Safari, Safari is asking two options:

1) a list of application --> we have to choose the application

2) a specific application, I guess it's the last application used to open this file type...

The option 2) is the application that I want to use automatically to open this file type. Do you know if it's possible to automatize this process?

Thanks,

Fabrice

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 12:46 AM

6 replies

Aug 6, 2014 6:47 AM in response to fabrice1984

In days of yore before tablets were born, pre-OSX versions of Mac OS imposed two 4-letter ID tags on all files stored within. Type and Creator, they were called. It was a cinch to place which opened what. When Unix came and conquered, such niceties went out the window. Now you only have the filename suffix to divine what gets to open the file. And some suffixes (like .txt or even .doc) are severely overloaded: EVERYONE claims to be able to deal with them, regardless. With iOS, the mandatory sandboxing the apps live in adds more interesting wrinkles to the party.

The folks at the Developer forums, both the public ones here at the ASC or over in the private ones, would be happy to discuss the intimate details.

Open a file automatically with a specific application in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.