Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backups in maverick

I'm running 10.9.4. I have two Aperture Libraries backed up by Mozy (about 75 GB of pictures). I don't have iPhoto running on backup because I just don't use it or like it much. I recall reading at some point that Maverick puts all pictures into iPhoto regardless. So the question occurred to me just now: are the full versions of my photos being effectively backed up if I'm not backing up both iPhoto and Aperature?

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 8:34 AM

I recall reading at some point that Maverick puts all pictures into iPhoto regardless. So the question occurred to me just now: are the full versions of my photos being effectively backed up if I'm not backing up both iPhoto and Aperature?

That is a misunderstanding. If you import photos to Aperture, they will be stored in the library, that is currently opened by Aperture, probably your default Aperture library. But the photos will not automatically appear in your iPhoto library.

Aperture and iPhoto can share the same library, however. You could use just one photo library and open it in turns from iPhoto or Aperture.

See this document: Using the Unified Photo Library

So, if you are having separate libraries for iPhoto and Aperture, you need to backup both sets of libraries, but if Aperture uses the same library as iPhoto, they will add the photos to the same library, and backing up this unified library should suffice.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2014 8:34 AM in response to Nancy Holyoke

I recall reading at some point that Maverick puts all pictures into iPhoto regardless. So the question occurred to me just now: are the full versions of my photos being effectively backed up if I'm not backing up both iPhoto and Aperature?

That is a misunderstanding. If you import photos to Aperture, they will be stored in the library, that is currently opened by Aperture, probably your default Aperture library. But the photos will not automatically appear in your iPhoto library.

Aperture and iPhoto can share the same library, however. You could use just one photo library and open it in turns from iPhoto or Aperture.

See this document: Using the Unified Photo Library

So, if you are having separate libraries for iPhoto and Aperture, you need to backup both sets of libraries, but if Aperture uses the same library as iPhoto, they will add the photos to the same library, and backing up this unified library should suffice.

backups in maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.