Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Malware/adware from my mac mini which I downloaded by mistake?

Downloaded a malware/adware unknowingly when I wanted to download a videoplayer for my mac mini. Already tried doing a reinstall but the problem did not go a away. It hampers my web surfing. I'm using Google Chrome. Please advice.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Google Chrome

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 11:22 AM

Here are places to check:

-System Preferences/Accounts/ -> click your account on the left. Click login items at the top and see if there are any items you wish not to start up on launch.

-In Google Chrome you can go to the settings area and it will show you extensions. If there is an ad extension, you will be able to disable it.

-In Safari, fo to the top of the screen, click Safari, choose Preferences, go to extensions and remove any items that may be linked inside that area.

-Go to the applications folder and see if there are any items that pertain to the malware/adware you might be experiencing.

Once you have gone through these items, restart and see if the issue is resolved. I would suspect an extension got installed unknowingly.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2014 11:22 AM in response to kunalan

Here are places to check:

-System Preferences/Accounts/ -> click your account on the left. Click login items at the top and see if there are any items you wish not to start up on launch.

-In Google Chrome you can go to the settings area and it will show you extensions. If there is an ad extension, you will be able to disable it.

-In Safari, fo to the top of the screen, click Safari, choose Preferences, go to extensions and remove any items that may be linked inside that area.

-Go to the applications folder and see if there are any items that pertain to the malware/adware you might be experiencing.

Once you have gone through these items, restart and see if the issue is resolved. I would suspect an extension got installed unknowingly.

Jul 10, 2015 8:53 AM in response to kunalan

I wanted to jump in and say I fell for the 'clean my mac' app a while back and not only did it not get rid of my adware it made it worse! So I was very reluctant to download the 'adware medic' application you reference but my mac was in such bad shape i rolled the dice and tried it out of desperation. First of all it's free, you can choose to donate but not required. Second, it worked flawlessly! So I'll back up Kunalan on this resolution. This is a legit adware removal application.

How to remove Malware/adware from my mac mini which I downloaded by mistake?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.