5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2014 6:49 AM by jwshirley
PeterK_XX Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I have a huge problem at the moment as Safari started to freeze every time i bookmark anything. I did find suggestions in the following thread: Re: In the 10.9.4 Safari update is there a bug in Safari?

...I tried to follow the suggestions in the thread above but got stucked. I did comment in that thread but decided to create a new thread. The following comments is also present in that previous thread. I have been forced to install Firefox as a temporary solution but want to use Safari.

===

I cannot save bookmarks in my main account but it is possible as a guest. I also tested step1 and step 2 but when i started my iMac27 in recovery mode there was no "Utility" selection.

I REALLY need some help to solve this problem.

Here is a few lines from System Message, Safari also have a spin dump report.

2014-08-04 22:34:15,663 com.apple.WebKit.Networking[625]: ERROR: unable to get the receiver data from the DB!

2014-08-04 22:34:16,355 Safari[623]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 3. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

2014-08-04 22:34:16,356 Safari[623]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 3. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

2014-08-04 22:34:16,356 Safari[623]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 3. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

2014-08-04 22:34:22,275 spindump[616]: Saved hang report for Safari version 7.0.5 (9537.77.4) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Safari_2014-08-04-223422_Peters-iMac-4.hang

2014-08-04 22:34:59,000 kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired

iMac27 2012, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Safari
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (95,950 points)

In your user account ...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click:   Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If nothing above helped, troubleshoot Safari extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (150,495 points)

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File Import Bookmarks

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Arrange the bookmarks as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post again.

• PeterK_XX Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Carolyn and Linc,

Thanks both of you, you really saved my day as I am in a very important research project at the moment. REALLY appreciate that people like you exists :-)

I started with Carolyn's suggestion, as it was the first answer, and it worked :-)

Cheers

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (95,950 points)

You're welcome Peter 

• jwshirley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Carolyn,

Like Peter, I just wanted to send a big thank you..! Despite the fact that I depend on my Mac for my livelihood, I'm embarrassed how little I know as to what makes it go and more important, what makes it stop...

Again, thank you...

John