Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove speaker on SE/30

Hi

I will receive my precious package soon now: a Macintosh SE/30 that I will use mainly for generating disks for my Plus.

Unfortunately the computer I ordered is quite yellowed. In order to make it more white (the technique is shown here http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com )

I downloaded the service manual and when it comes to removing the front bezel something worries me: removing the speaker.

It says: "To remove the speaker, cut away (with a matte knife) the melted plastic that secures the speaker to the inside of the front bezel."

But if I cut the melted plastic, I won't be able to put it back? How can I pull this off without damaging the bezel?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 8:35 PM

Apple never intended you to remove the speaker, so it was "welded" in place by melting the plastic around the back a little. If you break away the part that melted, you'll be able to get the speaker out. When replacing it, you'll need some other way to secure it in place. Given the relatively light weight of the speaker, I think I'd try a drop of hot glue where the welds once were... that ought to hold it as well as being soft enough to break away again if you want to down the road.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2014 8:35 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

Apple never intended you to remove the speaker, so it was "welded" in place by melting the plastic around the back a little. If you break away the part that melted, you'll be able to get the speaker out. When replacing it, you'll need some other way to secure it in place. Given the relatively light weight of the speaker, I think I'd try a drop of hot glue where the welds once were... that ought to hold it as well as being soft enough to break away again if you want to down the road.

How to remove speaker on SE/30

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.