Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iWeb application ever be updated ? Alternatives ?

What a nice application! 🙂 Today for the first time I was able to publish a five page website in just ten minutes without reading any documentation. Will Apple ever update this iWeb ?

If not, what is an alternative application the same or better than iWeb so one can FTP to a hosting website ?

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 7:54 AM

iWeb died over 2 years ago and there's no chance of its revival. If you search the iWeb forum for "iWeb alternative" or "iWeb replacement" you'll find numerous topics discussing those apps and their capabilities.p

If you want something that is very iWeb like in its user interface, drag and drop features but is a modern, supported web app with all the features we wished iWeb had give EverWeb a try. It has a 30 day demo that you can use to see if it will suit your needs. The most of the other apps discussed in the topics I mentioned previously have demo versions also.

User uploaded file

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2014 7:54 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

iWeb died over 2 years ago and there's no chance of its revival. If you search the iWeb forum for "iWeb alternative" or "iWeb replacement" you'll find numerous topics discussing those apps and their capabilities.p

If you want something that is very iWeb like in its user interface, drag and drop features but is a modern, supported web app with all the features we wished iWeb had give EverWeb a try. It has a 30 day demo that you can use to see if it will suit your needs. The most of the other apps discussed in the topics I mentioned previously have demo versions also.

User uploaded file

Aug 6, 2014 11:40 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

Well no. iWeb has not be sold or supported by Apple for at least 2 years now ever since MobileMe went and was replaced by iCloud that does not offer hosting.

The best alternative to iWeb is EverWeb. It has everything included that we all wished iWeb had, such as drop down menus out of the box, SEO, Master Pages etc., and a lot more.

Take a look at it and the layout is very similar to iWeb so no real learning curve - if you got to know iWeb, then most things are the same in EverWeb too.

You can download a free trial and then you can purchase it either with hosting from Rage or just one copy that you can upload via ftp to your own host.

Aug 7, 2014 12:53 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

No, I have not ever used Rage Webhosting, but I have used the product EverWeb with another host.

I think the reason that EverWeb was offered with Rage Software hosting was so that things worked better on their host as opposed to others - it was meant to be along the lines of iWeb and MobileMe hosting - so things like blog comments would only work if the site was hosted on MobileMe etc, however, I believe the Rage had a change of heart, so at first the contact form would not work on anything other than their own hosting, but they soon changed this.

Anyway, there is nothing to stop you going with GoDaddy or Blue Host - they may offer more benefits than Rage. I current have hosting with GoDaddy, Siteground and 1and1 and have uploaded an EverWeb site with Cyberduck with no problems at all.

The reason that I have used others hosts is so that I can change the platform that I use if I want to and GoDaddy, Siteground and 1and1 all support the CMS's like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla, which I have currently been using - Drupal is my favourite at present.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Other software worth taking a look at and that had come out with new editions very recently are Freeway Pro/Expresss 7 and Flux V. Perhaps a steeper learning curve though.

Aug 14, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Ethmoid

Yes. I purchased it and am using it. Its interface` is a bit different and will take getting used to. I'm certainly not a power user with it but I do like it, particularly the feature to directly interject HTML code into the page and to be able to use any font I'd like and have the font uploaded to the server along with the other files for all to use.

Aug 14, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Old Toad

I only have the trial version of EverWeb, and there is only one issue I need to resolve before purchasing -- the very issue you touch upon -- FONTS! I need to use Futura and, although I have a desktop font, I do not have a web font. I am looking at the plans at Typekit.com and Fonts.com. But since I really only want the one font family, I'm not sure this is the best way to go. Do you have a suggestion? Or directions as to how you would go about using Futura on a web site? If this is too far off-topic for this thread, please feel free to start a new one and or I could send you my email via your feedback box on your website.

And just to clarify, is it Flux V that you reference when saying, "to be able to use any font I'd like and have the font uploaded to the server along with the other files for all to use."

Thanks for adding your knowledge to this world.

J Clayton

Aug 15, 2014 2:37 AM in response to JClayton

There's no need to buy Futura as a webfont.

Futura is installed on OS X and for Windows there are alternatives.

If you use a style like this, then you have everything covered :

<style>

body {

font-size: 16px;

font-family: Futura, 'CenturyGothic-Bold', 'Century Gothic';

font-size: 120%;

}

</style>

http://www.google.com/search?q=futura+windows+alternative

http://www.google.com/search?q=futura+alternative+webfont

Will iWeb application ever be updated ? Alternatives ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.