Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What no more new Aperture software? Why?

What no more Aperture software? Why? I was looking forward to using it.

Please tell me why, no more updates or upgrades?

Thanks,

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 2:56 PM

21 replies

Aug 5, 2014 3:33 PM in response to klkirsch

Hmmm. I was wondering about this too. Aperture doesn't seem to be everyone's favourite but it works well for me.

I now have several questions:

1. Will Aperture still work when the new operating system comes in?

2. Should I start to look around for suitable software to replace Aperture?

3. Will the App that is intended to replace Aperture & iPhoto still have the same basic features for photo editing and for uploading to Flickr, Facebook, etc?

4. Will the new app import the existing library structure, multiple libraries, etc?

5. If the new app is orientated towards the use of iCloud for storage, will it cope with those of us who have very large photo collections?

6. Is there any risk of losing attached information on photo files (e.g. location, tags, keywords, titles, etc.)

I know we need to progress and new apps will probably be better in the long run but a bit of reassuring info would be very useful. Anyone out there have any inside info?

Aug 5, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Thatblokeoverthere

1. Yes. Apple explicitly said it will be updated for Yosemite.

2. Up to you. If Apple continues with its yearly update cycle for OS X, then you're pretty much supported through late 2015. You don't have to make a decision now.

3. We don't know yet.

4. Yes.

5. The new app can use iCloud storage, but it doesn't HAVE to. Note Photos will support up to 1 TB of photos in iCloud. What is "very large" to you?

6. I don't believe so.

Most of these questions were answered in the various press articles that came out in late June when Apple announced this, FWIW.

Aug 6, 2014 3:03 AM in response to klkirsch

I am absolutely gutted to read that Aperture will not be updated. I have been an avid Apple user since 2009 and use Aperture all the time having resisted the move to Lightroom when all my colleagues did. I feel totally let down as it is a good programme and suits my needs perfectly. It would seem that Apple are, as rumoured, not supporting Professional Apple use any longer.

Hey Ho - might as well head over to the Adobe website now!

Aug 6, 2014 7:41 AM in response to sara956

Well all this has been hashed out a few weeks ago, on many other threads.

1. You don't need to switch to Lightroom now - and possibly not ever. Why? Aperture will run in 10.10 (Apple have promised this) and may even run in later version of the OS. That means you don't have to make any changes at all for at least 18 months.

2. Next year the new Photos.app will be released. Then you'll be able to decide what app you want to use. It may even be a significant improvement on Aperture. Right now you're assuming the worst and have no reason to.

Aug 6, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Nice to see a positive view. It's really easy to resist progress and development although I can see why hanging on to something that's familiar and works well Is attractive.

Aperture is an effective app but it does have shortcomings and even some bugs that I'm sure Apple is aware of. Hopefully, these things will be addressed in the new app without the loss of any useful features and if Aperture continues, there's time to make an assessment, maybe even running the new Photo app and Aperture side by side sharing the same library.

1Tb of iCloud storage sounds good although I'm sure there will be a significant cost. The advantage here being that photos are stored remotely and there's less chance of losing them if your computer goes up in smoke.

Sep 3, 2014 11:11 AM in response to Thatblokeoverthere

I use Aperture personally and professionally. I am concerned about this change, but will give Apple the opportunity to produce an acceptable product in Photos that will not require iCloud storage. I do not use server storage for my photos or other documents now, and will not do so in the future. Even before recent leaks of personal photographs among popular Hollywood celebs, I had no confidence in the security of any mass storage service. I do like the article, Aperture is Dead. Long Live Photos! | ApertureExpert by Joseph@ApertureExpert. It is a good review of the problem and possibilities for anyone currently using Aperture. Apple, if you are listening, please, don't abandon us again. This is your chance to prove that you want to keep the pros who depend on your products rather than letting your products grow into a full featured graphics program and then devolving back to MacPaint.

Sep 3, 2014 11:17 AM in response to volluzphoto

volluzphoto wrote:

but will give Apple the opportunity to produce an acceptable product in Photos that will not require iCloud storage

The new Photos app in iOS 8 does not require cloud storage. It can use it but is not a requirement.

Even before recent leaks of personal photographs among popular Hollywood celebs

You mean the incident where the Hollywood celebs used really poor passwords? and nothing was "hacked"? and most of these photos were not from iCloud?

Apple, if you are listening, please, don't abandon us again.

They aren't listening here in this forum.

They ARE listening here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Sep 10, 2014 12:50 PM in response to klkirsch

klkirsch wrote:

Let's add to the.

Will the replacement software

Apple has not announced a replacement for Aperture.

They have announced the Photos app fro iOS 8 and Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite, which are free upgrades.

Or, do we have to buy totally different software?

You don't have to buy anything. Aperture will continue to work as it does now.

Apple will update Aperture for Yosemite.

You can buy totally different software if you wish.

What no more new Aperture software? Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.