Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library photos gone

I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 and iPhoto 6. Cleaning up my computer I moved old HP Photoshop app to trash. My Pictures folder in Preview is empty and I only have a blank, grey square and the photo label in iPhoto. I know the photos are still in my system since I can search the title of a photo and find it.

I immediately moved the HP Photoshop app back but the library only partially there.

Help! How do I get photos back into iPhoto library. I have tried the "rebuild library" feature and get this message in a window:

Unreadable Files? 1
The following file could not be imported. (The file is in the iPhoto Library folder.)
"/Users/nancymills/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Library6.iphoto

Huge thank you for your help.

Nancy

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iPhoto 6

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 3:58 PM

8 replies

Aug 6, 2014 10:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

I followed these instructions given by this Apple Support page: iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

I checked the "Repair the iPhoto Library database" and I got this window:

User uploaded file

I know my photos are on my computer because if I search for a title, it's there. Here is a picture of my iPhoto page:

User uploaded file

I had just finished removing duplicates and sorting into albums and folders. Took hours and hours. I don't know why deleting the HP Photoshop apps would disappear my photos.

I hope you can solve the mystery.

Again, thank you so very much,

Nancy

Aug 6, 2014 10:39 PM in response to Old Toad

I'll try. I removed duplicates in iPhoto and sorted the photos into folders and albums, This took hours and hours. I then went through my applications in Preview removing (trashed) those apps I was no longer using. Among them was an HP app:

User uploaded file

and opening that app you get these:

User uploaded file

When I saw that my iPhoto Library was gone I pulled it out of the Trash since I knew there was a photo library in the HP Photosmart Studio app. Never dreamed it would damage my iPhoto Library. This occurred within a very short time that day.

I hope this helps. It is a mystery. I know my photos are still on my computer because I can search for any title and up it pops. I can copy it to iPhoto. But one by one will take me a very, very long time.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Nancy

Aug 7, 2014 9:54 PM in response to Old Toad

I read your last question wrong about where the photos I found were located on my HD. If I do a search for a photo label from the library I get a list like this:

User uploaded file

If I open the "Data" the photo is smaller, but untitled folder, Originals and Download folder are full size. What is interesting is if I try to open either of the "AlbumData.xml - iPhoto Library, the Apple game Big Bang Four In A Row opens. I have been playing Backgammon which is one of the games in this Games folder that came in my original software package. That is very strange.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you again,

Nancy

Aug 8, 2014 12:27 AM in response to WhiteiMac

There's a lot of stuff going on here that is confusing.

1:

What is interesting is if I try to open either of the "AlbumData.xml - iPhoto Library, the Apple game Big Bang Four In A Row opens.

Not important or relevant. It just means that this game has become set as the default app for opening xml files to edit. As you never edit xml files it doesn't matter.

If I open the "Data" the photo is smaller, but untitled folder, Originals and Download folder are full size.

Where are these Data and Original folders? Can you give us the location of the enclosing folder - such as /Pictures/iPhoto Library/ Data or /Documents/iPhoto Library/ or whatever. You can use the / symbol to denote a level in the folder hierarchy.

Do you have a back up of the Library?

iPhoto Library photos gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.