Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please?

I think there is something wrong with my jack on my iPhone 4. Only the right channel works and nothing comes out through the left and this only happened tonight. I used 3 different headphones = same problem. I've gone through several 'solutions' and forums on this page to look for an answer, tried them all but nothing's working, what should I do? The most frequent answer I've got was go to general/accessibility/under mono audio drag the button towards the centre which I did, but I'm still stuck with this problem. Do I need to get my jack fixed (as in would it cost money which I don't have at the moment) or does anyone else have a different solution that actually works? Please help me as music helps with my runs in the morning. Would really appreciate if anyone gets back to me, thank you.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 5:12 PM

1 reply

Aug 9, 2014 8:08 AM in response to ZAJG

Hello there, ZAJG.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great recommendations to troubleshoot the issue you're describing:

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

No sound through stereo headset

1. Inspect the headset jack for debris and clean if necessary.
  2. Connect the headset and make sure the connector is pushed in all the way.
  3. Check the volume setting. Adjust the volume by pressing the volume up and down button on the left side of the iPhone.
  4. If you are trying to listen to music and cannot hear any audio, make sure that the music on iPhone is not paused. Try squeezing the headset microphone to resume playback. Additionally, from the Home screen you can choose iPod > Now Playing, then tap Play.
  5. Make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed on the computer that you are syncing the iPhone with (songs purchased from the iTunes Store using earlier versions of iTunes won't play).
  6. Try another Apple headset (some third-party headsets require an adapter to be used with original iPhone).
  7. Try a different song or video.
  8. Check to see if the iPhone alert sounds or other iPhone sound effects exhibit the same audio issues.
  9. Disconnect the headset from the iPhone and see if sound comes from the built-in speaker.

Additionally these steps overlap but offer some additional information:

The stereo headset buttons are not functioning properly

1. Verify the headset being used is compatible with the iPhone.
  2. Verify there is no debris in the headset jack.
  3. Insert the stereo headset and play audio using the Music app. Verify both left and right channels are functioning.
  4. Press the center button to see if it can pause and resume audio.
  5. Make a phone call and see if the microphone is working.
  6. If the issue persists, try another headset.
  7. If the issue persists with another headset, have the iPhone serviced.

My issue is still not resolved. What do I do next?

Contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.