Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the appliCATION PREVIEW CAN'T BE OPENED -10810

When I try to "preview" a file, I am getting an error message that says "The Application 'Preview' can't be opened -10810

How can I fix this?

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 8:56 PM

7 replies

Aug 9, 2014 7:36 AM in response to paulette238

Hello paulette238

The first thing to figure out is if this is happening in just your user account in all user accounts on your computer. Check out the first article on steps for troubleshooting software issues. If you end up needing to reinstall Preview, then depending on which version of OS X you are running, can vary on how you actually do it. If you are running 10.6 or earlier, then you will need the installation DVD to get that started. If you are running OS X Lion or later, then you will use the Recovery HD steps and are in the last article below.

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199

Mac OS X 10.6: Reinstalling Mac OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6606

OS X Lion: Reinstall Mac OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3878

Regards,

-Norm G.

Aug 9, 2014 11:00 AM in response to paulette238

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Jan 18, 2015 11:16 AM in response to paulette238

I am finding the same error, with having Preview open for an attached image or document. Of course the error message ""The Application 'Preview' can't be opened -10810" is really helpful ...NOT!

I discover that I am able to open the Preview app directly from the Application folder and that works, alas I also want it to work for previewing attached documents in outlook, as it used to.

As for the responses I see here that essentially say something like re-install MAC OS X - well thats an answer for anything that doesn't work as it is supposed to. As in its as helpful as a wet blanket.

Jan 26, 2015 7:40 PM in response to nevasha

Suddenly as of today (1/26/15), Preview declines to open, when a file belonging to it is double-clicked, and when its own icon is double-clicked.

I can run preview from my mirrored SuperDuper backup, but Mavericks won't allow me to drag it from the mirrored partition to the running boot drive. When I attempt to drag it to the running system drive Mavericks tells me:

“Preview” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by OS X.

I don't much like the OS bossing me around. If it were all that I wouldn't have do this chore in the first place. I will do it, of course, by booting from the mirrored partition and copying from there to here (before the next scheduled mirror). But I should not have to adopt a work-around for this simple command.

Can anyone at Apple explain -10810? I have done several searches on the 'Net and have not turned up what this code means.

Jan 26, 2015 7:58 PM in response to berkelelychuanist

Okay, I just re-started from the mirrored back-up partition and copied Preview over to the regular boot drive (Intel SSD ... man, does the rotating drive take longer to boot!) And now Preview starts both from files and by itself.

This means that sometime between yesterday—when Preview worked—and this afternoon, something bad happened to Preview.

I'd sure like to know what. Maybe I can plow through the Console logs and something will turn up. But a pointer from our friends at Apple would be appreciated.

Jan 27, 2015 9:31 AM in response to berkelelychuanist

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

the appliCATION PREVIEW CAN'T BE OPENED -10810

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.