Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I import Aperture 2.1.4 library into 3.5.1

Hi,

My old Intel 2GHz iMac died the other week and I have a large ? (49GB) library that I would like to continue using in the latest version of Aperture 3.5.1

I have a brand new iMac 2.9 GHz now so, have I missed the boat on upgrading, or if not how easy is it to ressurect my Aperture 2.1.4 Library ?

cheers - Dom

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 4:11 AM

6 replies

Aug 6, 2014 4:44 AM in response to D P T

do you already have an aperture 3 library? If not, you would simply make a backup copy of your aperture 2 library and then open this library in Aperture 3. Aperture will upgrade the library to the new format, if you already have a library, use "file - import - library' to merge the second library into the first. Upgrade all libraries to the latest version by opening them in Aperture 3 before merging.

Aug 6, 2014 10:24 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Yes I do have access to the Aperture 2 library it is backed up on an external.

I haven't purchased Aperture 3 yet as the big question is will Aperture 3 recognise an Aperture 2 library, but from what you are saying you sound confident Aperture 3 will import the old library?

cheers - Dom

Aug 6, 2014 10:50 AM in response to D P T

Yes, Aperture 3 could even open Aperture 1 libraries.

See the Aperture 3.5.1: Release notes http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

Scroll down to the bottom of the document: "A note on Upgrading".

I haven't purchased Aperture 3 yet as the big question is will Aperture 3 recognise an Aperture 2 library, but from what you are saying you sound confident Aperture 3 will import the old library?

You don't need to import the library, just open it in Aperture 3, and let Aperture upgrade it. What kind of backup do you have? If it is a Time Machine backup, restore the library from Time Machine, and then try to open it.

I don't know, if Aperture 3 can restore Aperture 2 vaults.

If your backup is a copy of the Aperture 2 library, simply use Aperture's "File > Switch to library" to open the Aperture 2 library in Aperture 3.5.1.

Can I import Aperture 2.1.4 library into 3.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.