Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - Installing Windows on Mac Book Pro

Can I use an external hard drive ( which contains the windows.exe file, and other windows supporting documents ) to instal windows on my mac ?

I took the following steps using the BootCamp program:

1, Created a windows install disk

- I selected the .iso file located on my desktop to create the install disk. However, the "install disk" is actually my external Seagate hard drive, not a DVD.

2. Bootcamp support files were downloaded to my USB

2. I then partitioned the Mac OS X hard drive ( equally divided the space )

3. The Mac restarts, but then goes into a dark screen. Nothing shows up on the screen , it's pitch black. Seconds later, the internal cooling fans are working real fast. Real fast. It almost feels like the Mac is overheating, and the fans are working over time.

- I then experimented with this problem, and decided to remove the USB drive ( which as the bootcamp support docs on it ) prior to restarting the mac. When the USB drive is removed, the Windows install setup initiates, however, the program cannot find a valid drive to install the software.

I'm thinking I might have to use an actual install disk , instead of my external hard drive to install windows . Has anyone else encountered this issue ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 12:19 PM

1 reply

Aug 8, 2014 8:22 AM in response to iFrausto

Hi iFrausto,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand how frustrating it can be when you run into issues installing Windows on your Apple computer. In your specific situation, I would recommend reading over and using the troubleshooting provided in the following article to help you resolve this situation.

Boot Camp: iMac displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Have a great day,

Joe

Bootcamp - Installing Windows on Mac Book Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.