Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean my iPhone from junk files?

Hello, I am new to iPhone, before I used HTC.

I´ve had it for a week only, but anyway, I am quite curious how to clean the phone from all the junk files that are downloaded via mail, web browsing, Facebook etc., which are stored somewhere and occupy some space which could be cleaned?

I dont want to buy any software for this, because I suppose Apple should count with this and create some free programme which the user could use for free... (??)

With HTC it was enough to connect the phone via USB to the PC (I have Windows), an external disk window opened and you could browse through the phone, see all the files and delete all you wanted. And of course transfer all you wanted.

I dont quite understand the iTunes - I dont want to sync anything - just download the photos from my phone to the PC and then delete the unnecessary files. I havent found any option how to do it. All I see is synchronize your phone. Dont need it. So... how the **** do I do it????

Thanks a lot for the answers

iPhone 4S

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 1:03 PM

You don't need to do anything like that with the iPhone. It will maintain those files on its own. Photos you can transfer to a computer by connecting via USB: iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

If you feel you must, you can go to Settings > Safari and "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data"

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2014 1:03 PM in response to VeronikaM123

You don't need to do anything like that with the iPhone. It will maintain those files on its own. Photos you can transfer to a computer by connecting via USB: iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

If you feel you must, you can go to Settings > Safari and "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data"

Oct 5, 2015 2:38 AM in response to VeronikaM123

Go to Settings > General > Usage, and see which apps are using a lot of space.

Then, either go into the apps themselves and use whatever interface they provide to remove data. Or, better yet, delete the app completely.

iPhones keep each app's data separate from other apps. And, when you remove an app ALL the data associated with it is removed. Because of this 'junk files' don't build up in the same way they might on say a Windows computer.

Oct 5, 2015 2:53 AM in response to wooddrly

actually, there are junk files.

if you take a phone that has been used some time and do a complete restore via itunes sync (ie rebuild it completely - first erase, then reload system, all apps and media files automatically), the phone will usually end up with a couple of gigabytes less in use.

did this several times already, always works.

Apr 16, 2016 7:39 AM in response to VeronikaM123

Actually there are junk files on every operating system you use. They get created the same way we sit in a clean room and after some use the junk is there.

My advice is not to install any application except from the APP STORE because they are filtered and to a certain limit free of malware. The same holds true with the android devices.

I don't want to name any one but some one here has mentioned an app from external source which in nothing but a malware and to be sure I downloaded it just for seeing what it is and believe me even while downloading my antivirus Norton on my notebook picked it up and deleted it instantaneously.

There are some apps in app store that are very good for deleting these files.

You can download ;

1. Dr. Storage which is an optimizing app as well but available only in some countries.

2. Memory & Disk Scanner Pro.. It is a paid one and cleans both the ram and junk. You can actually see for yourself before and after that how much space has been set free.

Also if any one here has a better experience with this issue his or her advice is welcome.

Oct 28, 2016 7:36 AM in response to mdesignffm

I agree with this. I had been using a 16GB 5c and often getting close to storage limit. Just do a manual backup, then restore the phone using that latest backup. Almost always cleared 2-4GB of space from the "Other" stuff. What I would check is to be sure to NOT have your emails stored on the servers if you are using different email accounts. When you restore, it grabs ALL of the emails on the server, read or unread and dumps them into the mailbox. you then need to spend a LOT of time getting rid of the old emails.

But hopefully, I won't need to do that as often anymore since I just picked up my 7 on Wednesday...

How do I clean my iPhone from junk files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.