Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

superdrive wont read discs anymore

My superdrive was working perfectly fine, I used it for hours which i think might be a part of my problem but suddenly after inserting a disc it stopped responding, the disc still spins around and makes noises and seems like its working but nothing shows up on my desktop. after a long time maybe 5 mins or so it says that the cd is blank and asks me how i want to continue!!!! CD i inserted is not blank! PLLLZZ HELP MMEEE

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), superdrive with USB

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 12:27 PM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Yaldamstf99

FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR INTERNAL SUPERDRIVE

This might help. If you haven't done so yet, try installing Apple's SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0, which is on Apple's support site at http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201953 to see if that resolves it. Apple says "This update addresses noise made by the optical disk drive during wake from sleep on your Mac." Although not related to what Apple mentions, the firmware update seems to be important for making external SuperDrives work in Yosemite, and it is one step I used to get my SuperDrive to work in a USB external case when plugged into my MacBook Pro.

Please let us know either way, whether the firmware update helps or not in your situation.

Feb 3, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Dave in Minnesota

I have always had a Mac Mini desktop. I had 3 Superdrives just quit working or have issues over the years. I could plug in an external DVD drive and the disk and other functions would work fine. But the internal drive would not read the disk! My MacBook would read the disk with the internal drive, but not the MacMini. I have upgraded my MacMini and there is no superdrive, so I connected an external unit and I have not had any problems. My MacBook internal drive has never had problems and it's at least 6 yrs old now.

For some reason, I just never had those superdrives work for very long in the MacMini desktop. If out of warranty, the least expensive way to go is to buy an external drive and see if that works for you. OWC, which carries a lot of Mac related stuff, has some at reasonable prices, fast shipping and they are a reliable company. No, I don't work there.

Btw, I never found any workarounds. Once they started messing up, they only got worse.

Oops, I meant to reply to OP! But, now I can't find a way to change that. Sorry.

superdrive wont read discs anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.