Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My browser is blocked by a critical error message. How do I get rid of the message.

IT is a 2008 MacBook ith a safarI browser. And os 10.7.5. Operating system. It popped up on my screen and says, " your computeris at risk, virus detected security error due to suspicious activity. Please contact windows/Mac expertlive technician for help.

AT the top it says: onlinepcscanner.net

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2014 1:44 PM

Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2014 1:44 PM in response to jonathanhemlock

Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Apr 9, 2015 12:23 PM in response to SoulReaper71

I have a MacBook Air and my browser is currently blocked by a similar popup 'criticalsystemerrors.info'

I have tried all of the steps mentioned above but none of them are working. The command-w is blocked, the preference bar is greyed out and I can't clear my history. Help me please- are there any other steps I can take to remove this virus?

May 25, 2015 1:13 PM in response to jonathanhemlock

I called Applecare and they had me go to the Adwaresite to download software that would ferret out the advertising software imbedded in my system library. I am running OS X 10.7.5 on and Inter Macbook Pro. I downloaded the software, installed it, and ran it while AppleCare was still on the phone. It found 4 entries in my system library and allowed me to remove them. The problem was immediately resolved thank goodness.

I downloaded the software from:

www.adwaremedic.com

My browser is blocked by a critical error message. How do I get rid of the message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.