12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2014 5:20 PM by entrevon
entrevon Level 1 Level 1

Hello,

I have a buch of apps, some of which are very important for my work. I've been reading and wrestling with a solution for several hours now. Can someone please offer some advice on this topic?

Thank you,

Trey

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2
Solved by sberman on Aug 7, 2014 1:16 PM Solved

entrevon wrote:

I have a buch of apps, some of which are very important for my work.

Are you certain that your Apple ID (the one you are using in iTunes on your computer, and hopefully the same one you are using on your iPhone) is the very same Apple ID that owns (purchased) all the apps?

• roaminggnome Level 10 Level 10

All of your apps should be stored on your computer.  Just sync them to the new device.

Or simply redownload them.

• entrevon Level 1 Level 1

Hello,

I backed up my phone, but I don't see the apps on my computer anywhere? Am I just not seeing them or is there another way I need to go about getting my apps onto my computer?

Trey

• roaminggnome Level 10 Level 10

The backup does not include any iTunes content.

You should be importing all purchases made on your iPhone to your computer regularly.   File>Devices>Transfer Purchases

Ok nice. That helped a little bit. Thank you. Now it says I have to "authorize" my computer, but after I do it says it's already authorized. So I click ok and then it just tells me I need to authorize this computer. It keeps taking me in a circle.

Trey

• sberman Level 7 Level 7

Are you certain one of the messages doesn't say "Associate" instead of "authorize"?  Those are two different things.

See this article about associating your devices to your Apple ID:

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID

Yes I am certain that it says authorize. I still can figure out how to transfer my apps over:(

entrevon wrote:

I have a buch of apps, some of which are very important for my work.

Are you certain that your Apple ID (the one you are using in iTunes on your computer, and hopefully the same one you are using on your iPhone) is the very same Apple ID that owns (purchased) all the apps?

Thank you sberman. It was in fact a different password and user name that I needed. Now I need to figure out how to get the same password and username for both apple and iTunes. If that's possible at this point.

Trey

Try this:

In iTunes on your computer, do Store > Authorize This Computer from iTunes' menu.  Then authorize the Apple ID and password that is not currently authorized in iTunes.

Then try syncing the new iPhone again.

Thanks again, but you lost me on that one. Sorry! I'm not sure how to get to the bit about authorizing the Apple ID and password.

Also, are you just suggest that so I can change my user name and password? I'm asking/ confirming because I was able to accomplish my first problem which was to get my apps off my phone and into iTunes.

Trey

No, I am not suggesting you change any username / password.

I am only suggesting you add one as being authorized on iTunes on your computer.

I assume you have a username "User1" that is authorized on iTunes currently, and you have an additional username "User2" that owns one or more apps on the iPhone.  I assume you know both User1's and User2's passwords.

In this case, open iTunes on your computer.  Go to Store > Authorize This Computer from iTunes' menu.  Enter User2's username and password.  Then both User1 and User2 will be authorized.  Then sync.

Gotcha. Thank you again sberman.