Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

solving bootcamp problems after partition

hey guys,

recently i got struck in a bootcamp problem,

this occurred when i installed b-e-t-a of recent os x 'ten' public,

bootcamp icon was not visible in alt-option boot drive selection

panel, but it was visible in startup disk in system preferences,when

i select windows as startup disk a screen saying "no bootable disk

insert and press any key..." used to appear, but later when i found

this Repairing Boot Camp after creating new partitionBy MacTavish_10, July 25, 2014

i solved it to a point in which i can make windows or bootcamp

icon appear in alt-option panel,but when i try to boot into it,

underscore starts blinking continuously but no windows starts booting.

please help....😕😟

macbook pro mid 2012, 500gb hd, windows 8.1, os x 9.4 to 10 b-e -t-a

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), mid 2012, 500 gb hd,

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 5:27 AM

6 replies

Aug 7, 2014 6:13 AM in response to maccing

The Apple Bootcamp implementation uses a Hybrid MBR, which has a limit of 4 partitions. OSX utilities use GPT, while Windows uses MBR scheme.

When you installed you-know-what, it removed the Hybrid MBR and put the entire disk into a Protective MBR as your fdisk shows.

Option 1.

1. Backup your Windows partition to an external disk using OSX side. You may not be able to use it again.

2. Please backup your Mavericks side via Time Machine.

3. Please remove you-know-what from your system, and the corresponding GPT partitions.

4. Erase your disk, and re-store from 2 and re-install Windows.

Option 2.

1. Backup your Windows partition to an external disk using Winclone. You may not be able to use it again.

3. Please remove you-know-what from your system, and the corresponding GPT partitions.

4. Erase your disk, and re-store from 2 and re-install Windows via Winclone.

Option 3.

1. Backup your Windows partition to an external disk using OSX side. You may not be able to use it again.

4. Create a new Hybrid MBR, with appropriate information and bring up Windows, using Startup Repair, if necessary.

Option 4.

3. Create a new Hybrid MBR (different from Option 3), with appropriate information and bring up Windows, using Startup Repair, if necessary.

Aug 7, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Loner T

i am happy for taking your time, in writing me.

if i don't want windows anymore or tenth os of mac, can i just directly take my files from bootcamp via drag and drop to Mavericks and then delete other partition and get os x 9.4 and data safely out on main drive, without those grey space people complained before? and later install windows normally?

i am not fluent in english or to discussions, so please forgive my mistakes.

Aug 7, 2014 8:37 AM in response to maccing

If the Bootcamp partition is visible in Finder on the OSX side, you can extract files, as you wish.

Once you have the files you need, erase the hard drive by booting in Command+Opt+R, re-install 10.9.4 and add a new Bootcamp installation as you need. Do not add anything else or re-partition the disk, if you plan to put Bootcamp on it.

Aug 7, 2014 9:48 AM in response to maccing

maccing wrote:

"Do not add anything else or re-partition the disk, if you plan to put Bootcamp on it" i didn't get this line.

Bootcamp uses an MBR, which can only support 4 entries. Any partitioning with Bootcamp and OSX installed on a single-disk system will cause the MBR to break, and Windows will stop booting. When Bootcamp starts using EFI boot and no longer uses an MBR, it will remove this restriction.

maccing wrote:

i learnt from apple support that, even after installing original yosemite from app store (which may release in this year), the same problem will occur to bootcamp.

The Apple OS installers pay no attention to the MBR/Bootcamp and cause problems. Even Disk Utility is notorious for causing problems.

solving bootcamp problems after partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.