Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what video card for 2 screens on Mac pro 10.7.5 lion

Folks,

Thats the question. My Mac Pro works great with its ITA Radeon 5770, but it serves only 1 screen. I want to use 2 screens for my graphic work.

Is there a card that does the job? Happy to read your input. Cheers.

Benmacpro.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 8:52 AM

Maybe this will help. You did not specify your model Mac Pro.

User Tip: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

8 replies

Aug 7, 2014 9:15 AM in response to benmacpro

5770 supports 3.

DVI and two MiniDisplay Ports, adapters may be needed depending on resolution and interface.

Note: If you are using more than one Mini DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI adapter, only two displays are supported across the three ports. To connect up to two Mini DisplayPort displays and up to a 30-inch DVI display simultaneously, use the ports without any adapters. To connect two DVI displays, use the dual-link DVI port and the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately). To connect three DVI displays at once, you must use two Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapters (sold separately). To connect up to three VGA displays simultaneously, use the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and DVI to VGA adapters (sold separately).

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009): Issues with three displays and multiple DVI, HDMI connections

Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Guide to Apple graphic display adapters needed
Atlona (Dual Link) DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter for Apple 27-inch LED and 27-inch iMac

Aug 10, 2014 8:39 AM in response to The hatter

Hatter,

Tnx very much. Only confusion now is i need the two screens showing different content: 1 for my image (in Ps for instance) and the other for my tools and may Lr. The spread of the content of one screen over 2 screens is not what i need. My understanding of what dual link stands for is below standards.

One line from u could clear tis up, i think.

Cheers.

Ben.

Aug 10, 2014 8:41 AM in response to kaz-k

Kaz-K,

Tnx very much. Only confusion now is i need the two screens showing different content: 1 for my image (in Ps for instance) and the other for my tools and may Lr. The spread of the content of one screen over 2 screens is not what i need. My understanding of what dual link stands for is below standards.

One line from u could clear tis up, i think.

Cheers.

Ben.

Aug 10, 2014 2:40 PM in response to benmacpro

The Mac does not support now, nor has it ever supported displaying ONE screen's worth of data across three screens. You can select Mirroring, which produces an exact replica -- even if it has to change the display's resolutions to do so.

The 5770 supports the use of up to three screens at fairly high resolutions (including 2560 by 1600). The default method has historically been to build one large "Extended desktop" and each screen, at is native resolution, shows a Window into that space. You are free to drag these Icons around to your liking.

User uploaded file

This diagram shows one large display on the left (with moveable menuBar shown), and one smaller display on the right, not mirrored. The icons are proportional to the display sizes in pixels. You can drag them so that the smaller display is above, below, or to the left, or so that they touch with a different relationship.

The mouse is free to move across the seam between displays, and you can drag a window partially or completely across. The implementation is so good that you can drop a window half on each display, and when you scroll the window, each half will move "the way it should". It even works if one display is black-and white and the other is millions of colors.

Mavericks changes the default so that completely independent displays is the default, but this can easily be changed.

Aug 11, 2014 8:34 AM in response to benmacpro

Another common confusion is the meaning of Dual-Link DVI. Dual-Link DVI does NOT support multiple displays.

Single-Link DVI has three conductor-pairs (each with push-pull drivers) one pair for Red, Green and Blue data. These are shown as Green in the diagram below.

When the horizontal width of the display goes over about 1920 pixels (as a practical rule of thumb), the pixel data rate required (to support reasonable length cables) becomes unworkable with ordinary electronic components and regular cables.

Dual-Link DVI adds another complete set of data conductors, and this allows the support of W-I-D-E displays without resorting to extremely fast pixel data rates and much more expensive driver circuits and cables. There is no need to double the control signals. These are the dark blue pins in the center of the grid (required for Dual-Link DVI, optional or not connected on Single-Link DVI)

User uploaded file

image courtesy wikipedia

what video card for 2 screens on Mac pro 10.7.5 lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.