Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have install Maverick 2 times in my macbook pro tell me how to erase the hard drive zero by zero. I have backed up When I tried to restore it it gave an error.??

I have install Maverick 2 times in my macbook pro. First the mavericks OS X then the installer icon. tell me how to erase the hard drive zero by zero. I have backed up When I tried to restore it it gave an error.??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 9:30 AM

3 replies

Aug 7, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Anas Jatoi

The "Apple guy" was probably doing a one-pass format, zeroing out the data on the drive. You can do a 7-pass secure erase but that takes days sometimes and isn't necessary if you're keeping the drive.

There's really no need to securely erase your drive if you're not selling the machine. Do you have a version of OS X installed on the drive now? If you have a 2011 or later machine, you can boot holding down the command, option and R keys and boot from Apple servers. From there you can reinstall the OS and then begin your restoration from your Time Machine backup.

Make sense?

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

I have install Maverick 2 times in my macbook pro tell me how to erase the hard drive zero by zero. I have backed up When I tried to restore it it gave an error.??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.