Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MDD won't install Tiger

This MDD G4 has been fine up till recently, when the HD gave up and needed to be replaced. I found a 100+ GB drive made by IBM among my collection, and installed it. I started with my MDD install discs that came with the computer (OS 10.2) and then did the update combo. I then successfully installed Panther, OS 10.3 with my retail install disc, and also updated that with the combo to 10.3.9.

However, on attempting to install 10.4 Tiger, also with my retail install disc, I am unable to do so, as the disc is either ejected on restart or when I try to use Start Up it reverts to the present OS 10.3.9 or I sometimes just get the flashing question mark/folder and I have to shut down. It doesn't matter if I hold the C key down or not. I think I've tried the option key as well.

I have had no problems installing Tiger before. Any help appreciated,

K

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 1:05 PM

12 replies

Aug 7, 2014 4:52 PM in response to BDAqua

It doesn't make sense to me. I have always had success with the retail Tiger Install disc, and have used it several times before on various G4's. The CD/DVD drive isn't a 'superdrive', but had installed the other previous OS's, so why not OS 10.4?

I could try removing the superdrive from my other MDD and try to install Tiger with it on the problem machine. Or, isn't there a way to start up from an external drive and clone the 10.4 system from that?

Aug 7, 2014 5:29 PM in response to keithgvp

The CD & DVVD parts of the optical use different lasers, curcuits & voltages, one can work & not the other.

If you have a Firewire cable no need to swap opticals, in Target Disk mode this one can use the Optical drive of the other one.

Put install Disc in second one, connect FW cable to both, boot second one holding t key, boot this one holding alt key.

Aug 7, 2014 6:54 PM in response to keithgvp

keithgvp wrote:

This MDD G4 has been fine up till recently... I have had no problems installing Tiger before...

so, can you clarify: has been fine up til recently running what version OS? Are you saying that you have installed Tiger from that same DVD on that same particular MDD G4 before? This is what I assumed here.

If not, does that particular MDD G4 even have a DVD drive in it? On some older models this was an option. Can you actually mount the Tiger DVD when you are booted into 10.3 on that MDD and is the disc readable? Maybe the Tiger DVD is unreadable on any computer due to scratches. Can you read the Tiger DVD in any other Mac?

Aug 7, 2014 6:57 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

The CD & DVVD parts of the optical use different lasers, curcuits & voltages, one can work & not the other.

that is a good point, the optical drive may function fine when reading CDs but might not be able to read DVDs anymore if that portion of the drive has gone bad. Testing this out when booted in the installed OS would be a good check. If you can't read the disc then you can't boot from it either.

Aug 7, 2014 8:33 PM in response to Glen Doggett

If you have a Firewire cable no need to swap opticals, in Target Disk mode this one can use the Optical drive of the other one.

Put install Disc in second one, connect FW cable to both, boot second one holding t key, boot this one holding alt key.

So my question for BD Aqua is, the 'alt' key is what, on the Mac keyboard.......option or control...or...?

For Glen D. Yes, the machine in question had OS 10.4.11 installed, but the HDD with the OS died and I replaced it with a 75 GB 7200 RPM HD, which is on the ATA-6 Bus. I don't see this as a jumpers issue.

I reiterate that the optical drive in the machine that won't boot to the Tiger install disc accepted all the other discs leading up to it. The Tiger disc is spotless, and as I said, had worked before when installing the OS on earlier system drives (but not on this machine). And I previously actually had a scuffed-up Tiger disc that installed fine on laptops.

I'll try BD's fix, above, to see if it works, and will report back on success or failure.

Apr 19, 2015 1:41 PM in response to keithgvp

I just had this problem today.. it turned out the reason it wouldn boot was that the drive itself didnt like reading home-burned optical media of the type DVD+R... once i re-burned it onto a DVD-R it worked first time..

be carefull of which type of dvd media u choose to use with pre-2006 macs (powerpcs) alot of the drives dont like DVD+R or DVD+DL

DVD-R was the standard before..

MDD won't install Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.