Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player does not recognise disk and ejects it

When I insert a DVD or game disk, the player makes a noise but then does not open DVD player or game and ejects the disk.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 1:33 PM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Pitmonkey

Hi Pitmonkey,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If you are having issues with your iMac automatically ejecting disks, I would suggest reading over and following the troubleshooting steps in the following article. I know there are references to an external SuperDrive but the troubleshooting is for built in SuperDrives as well.

Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot-loading SuperDrive

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801

Accepts discs but they don't mount or are automatically ejected

1. Make sure the drive is not placed upside down. The aluminum enclosure should be facing up as shown in section 1.
  2. Check the disc's surface for scratches and dirt, since these things can prevent the disc from appearing on the desktop.
  3. Connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive directly to the computer's USB port instead a USB hub.
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).
  5. Ensure your drive can read the specific type of disc being used. The System Profiler or System Information may provide additional information regarding what media your computer supports.
  6. OS X Snow Leopard v10.6 or earlier: Open Apple System Profiler by choosing "About this Mac" from the Apple () menu. Then, click More Info.

OS X Lion v10.7 and later: Click the Apple () menu and then hold down the Option key. Choose System Information from the menu.

7. If the disc continues to not be recognized, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

Have a great day,

Joe

Aug 9, 2014 8:55 AM in response to Pitmonkey

If you have used these DVD's before - check the drive itself for debris or dust - and also check the DVD itself - and always hold them by the edges so you don't get fingerprints on them.

My hooked to TV DVD player - has a habit of saying no DVD in drive - its a matter of getting the DVD positioned just right - has had this habit since a few months old.

Feb 3, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Pitmonkey

FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR INTERNAL SUPERDRIVE

This might help. If you haven't done so yet, try installing Apple's SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0, which is on Apple's support site at http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201953 to see if that resolves it. Although it's not specifically for that problem, the firmware update seems to be important for making external SuperDrives work in Yosemite, and it is one step I used to get my SuperDrive to work in a USB external case when plugged into my MacBook Pro.

Please let us know either way, whether the firmware update helps or not in your situation.

DVD player does not recognise disk and ejects it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.