Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Ethernet to connect an OS9.2 iMac?

Hi all,

I would like to connect an iMac DV+ (384Mb) running Mac OS9.2 to a broadband router via Ethernet. I have made sure that all Ethernet extensions are switched on in the extensions manager.

What do I need to do next in order to make the iMac recognise the connection?

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I’ve never tried an Ethernet connection before, I thought it would simply be a case of plugging one end into the iMac, and the other into the router… but what screen in OS9.2 do I need to look for to enter the router password?

I’ve been through Mac Help, but it is very scant on details regarding this!

Many thanks for any help.

PS: For anyone who may remember me, this is my very first iMac from 2001 that I’m trying to connect, and its at my father’s house. I’m trying to help him get online via broadband for the first time, and he wants to use the iMac if possible.

Also, because I am doing this remotely, I don't know if the Ethernet cable the broadband company have supplied him with is the right one. Do iMacs of this vintage require a twisted-pair Ethernet cable?

iMac 450 (Indigo and Sage), iMac 600 (Snow), iBook 466 SE, Powermac G4 1GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 3:16 PM

Open the TCP/IP control panel and set the computer to connect through Ethernet and use a DHCP server. You shouldn't need to provide the router password just to hook up an Ethernet device.

(110644)

2 replies

Aug 8, 2014 3:56 AM in response to Niel

Hi Neil,

Thanks so much for your reply, it worked perfectly. I am doing this with two machines:

- iMac DV+ running Mac OS9.2

- iBook 466SE running Mac OS9.2

So both are now connected using Ethernet. I was able to install Classilla 9.3.2 on the iBook, and when I did the same on the iMac it gave me an alert saying ‘Classilla could not start because it could not locate NS Runtime’

Is this a Macintosh Runtime for Java issue?

I thought I could get an easy fix by running Software Update, but it doesn’t work for Mac OS9 anymore (fair enough I suppose, it is a log since retired OS).

Also, I cannot get into the Apple Discussions site using Classilla (or IE5 for that matter). Is there a solution to that, should I try running an older, more stable version of Classilla for instance?

Many thanks.

Using Ethernet to connect an OS9.2 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.