Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup dual external monitors on a MacBook Pro 15" A1398?

Need to setup dual monitors for my new MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display A1398. I am in instructional designer and need the larger display from dual monitors. I think the best way is to connect using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter in the two Thunderbolt ports or HDMI out of the one HDMI port and the other using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. I have two Thunderbolt ports, two USB ports and one HDMI port. How do I setup OS X Mavericks for this as well. I want to run it in clamshell mode. Wondered if there are any better or easier ideas?

With peace and love,

Sam K.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2, Model A1398

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 5:33 PM

Hi! I recommend you using both thunderbolt ports with their HDMI adapters, i don't know why but in my case it has worked better than having one monitor connected on one thunderbolt port and another on the HDMI port. As for the clamshell mode I recommend you this articles: Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display and http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/08/quickly-enter-clamshell-mode-with-an-external-dis play-in-mac-os-x/.

This are a few recommendations:

1. Use a usb mouse and keyboard, because sometimes bluetooth ones are not that trusty

2. You could buy one of the fancy things (you can see one on the second article) that hold your macbook up to prevent overheating. If you can't afford one or you don't to buy one, you can prop your macbook with some books on the side of the union between the lid and the keyboard (i don't know the word in english) and a very heavy one on the other side.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2014 5:33 PM in response to SamIAm0723

Hi! I recommend you using both thunderbolt ports with their HDMI adapters, i don't know why but in my case it has worked better than having one monitor connected on one thunderbolt port and another on the HDMI port. As for the clamshell mode I recommend you this articles: Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display and http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/08/quickly-enter-clamshell-mode-with-an-external-dis play-in-mac-os-x/.

This are a few recommendations:

1. Use a usb mouse and keyboard, because sometimes bluetooth ones are not that trusty

2. You could buy one of the fancy things (you can see one on the second article) that hold your macbook up to prevent overheating. If you can't afford one or you don't to buy one, you can prop your macbook with some books on the side of the union between the lid and the keyboard (i don't know the word in english) and a very heavy one on the other side.

Aug 8, 2014 11:02 AM in response to SamIAm0723

Thank you both for your help. I had bought the TwelveSouth BookArc based on my research. I connected using a TB to HDMI connector that I had purchased for my previous MacBook Pro at Monoprice. The price was much better at under $16 and has worked well for 2+ years. I connected the HDMI cable to the HDMI connection on the other side to see how it worked. I had to tweak with it a bit but worked well. The screen looks great. I will order a 2nd TB to HDMI connector from Monoprice but this will get me started. I did start with my Apple Magic Mouse and Apple USB keyboard. I do not care for the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I have found that it needs recharging to frequently, The setup with Magic Mouse and USB keyboard worked flawlessly. I will continue to work with this over the next few days and post any lessons learned.

@Amilixkan: Thank you for the links. They were very helpful. Especially, the osxdaily site.

@Loner T: thanks for the suggestion on the TB->HDMI v. straight HDMI connection. I can tell the difference in the two monitors resolution.

With thanks,

Sam K

Aug 8, 2014 11:21 AM in response to SamIAm0723

Just tested on a Dell U2711, a late 2013 15" rMBP, will show 1080p via HDMI, but shows 2560x1440 via TB (using mini-DisplayPort in TB port to DisplayPort on the monitor). My understanding is that the Mac HDMI port has the requisite HW to support up to 4K via HDMI when the monitors support it.

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers

I have tried a 4K UHDTV (Sony) at Best Buy in US, and the quality is breathtaking (using this sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pxRHBw-k8M ).

How to setup dual external monitors on a MacBook Pro 15" A1398?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.