Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 2 30 pin to hdmi wont play on samsung tv

I think this is an old iPad 2 (model MD368LL/A) - it is running iOS 7.1.2 and everything is up to date. My daughter only uses it for movies and some light internet. I bought the old style 30 pin connector to HDMI adapter a while back (like a year ago) and I swear it use to work back then by connecting the device to the 2 year old Samsung. The samsung site says all their models after 2007/9 (?) are hdcp ready. I went and bought a brand new 600hz hdmi cable that is 3' long. Yet still no dice. I can see the ipad there, surf the net, but every single movie we own when we start it says the connected device is not supported for protected content.

any thoughts on how to solve this? not a big fan of spending all this money on cable and adapters and still not being able to enjoy the movie(s) with the family around the TV. thank you.

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2, 30 pin to hdmi connector

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 8:29 PM

2 replies

Aug 10, 2014 9:14 AM in response to jnorman55555

Hello jnorman5555,

It sounds like your AV adapter from your iPad works for everything but video with HDCP. To start isolating the issue to a component in the chain here, I would start by double-checking these steps from the following article:

iOS: About Apple Digital AV Adapters

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4108

If you encounter an issue using the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter:

• Disconnect and reconnect the adapter from the iOS device and display.
  • Connect directly to the TV, projector, or external display using a known-good VGA or HDMI cable.
  • Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters.
  • Note that accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signal to other video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) are not supported.
  • Ensure that you are using the latest version of iOS. Some Apple Digital AV Adapters require iOS 5.1 or later.

Note: When using an Apple Digital AV Adapter manufactured before early 2012 with iPad (3rd generation), you may see the "This accessory is not supported" alert. Dismissing the alert will allow you to use the adapter.

For optimal performance, you may need to adjust the video resolution or settings for your display. If your display offers an "auto detect" or "factory default" setting, you may be able to use these options to optimize video resolution and display.

If the issue persists, I would next quit the running apps on the iPad:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that and restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Aug 10, 2014 3:14 PM in response to sterling r

Never thought about closing everything. Did that. Didn't work. Hard reset. Didn't work. The only thing it could be is the Apple 30 pin to HDMI adapter because I tried two different HDMI cables (both about 3') and identical result. There is no other intermediate adaprter per my description above, and the iPad has the latest iOS per my original post. Thanks.

ipad 2 30 pin to hdmi wont play on samsung tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.