Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to view/compare two Time Machine desktop dates at the same time?

I accidentally lost a file on my desktop, inadvertently dragging it onto my browser. I don't know what file I lost, and would like to retrieve it through my Time Machine. I don't want to replace all of the files on my desktop, but I would like to compare the files from two different dates (current date and last time saved) to discover the file I lost. If there's an easier way to make this discovery, I'm open for suggestions. Otherwise, I wonder if there's a way to see or compare my current files on desktop vs. my last save to Time Machine (without printing out a list).

Thanks in advance for your help!

iPod touch, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 3:53 PM

Hey apple_peeler,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you want to find out what is now missing by comparing it with other backups. The Restoring data from Time Machine backups section explains how you can do that.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time. The timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive. If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to let Time Machine automatically travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.

Have a nice day,

Mario

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2017 3:53 PM in response to apple_peeler

Hey apple_peeler,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you want to find out what is now missing by comparing it with other backups. The Restoring data from Time Machine backups section explains how you can do that.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time. The timeline shows the times of all backups on your backup drive. If you don’t know exactly when you deleted or changed a file, you can use the back arrow to let Time Machine automatically travel through time to show you when that folder last changed.

Have a nice day,

Mario

Is it possible to view/compare two Time Machine desktop dates at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.