Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 4 month old MacBook Pro and it won't connect to my Apple TV.

i bought a brand new macbook pro a few months ago and right from the start it has never successfully connected to my apple tv. yes my apple tv is up to date. yes my macbook is up to date. my router is brand new as well and about 30 feet from my apple tv and my macbook. most other people seem to have a problem where they don't see the icon for airplay. i see it i click on it, my screen flashes, and the screen on my tv goes black and then sits there and does nothing. thats about as far as i get. I've let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it still does nothing. any ideas how i can solve this issue?

Apple TV, iOS 7

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 7:11 PM

1 reply

Aug 10, 2014 7:17 AM in response to brewcrew81

Hey brewcrew81,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you can see the airplay icon and can select the device and it tries to display something. Its good that the devices are up to date. One thing you may want to check is the settings of the router you are using and make sure it is using the recommended settings.

iOS and OS X: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5209

Troubleshooting performance issues

Wi-Fi Connection

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your AirPlay-enabled device.

• Ensure that other devices aren't trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

Ethernet Connection

Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.

Have a nice day,

Mario

I have a 4 month old MacBook Pro and it won't connect to my Apple TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.