Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my mac read my USB flash drive?

I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch retina, and it worked fine, but now it won't read anything that I plug in through the USB ports. I have tried everything. Every time I plug in my iPhone, it sounds like it reads it but nothing. I went to system information to see if it was reading the iPhone, and it was!! I really don't know what to do, please help

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 10:03 AM

Hello there Bast14,

It sounds like you are not able to use your USB ports on your computer. I would use the troubleshooting in the following article to help resolve that, named:

USB and FireWire Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1151

• Restart your Mac
    Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues. From the Apple menu, choose Restart to restart your computer. Once your Mac is finished starting up, test your device again.
  • Check the software
    See if a newer version of software is available for your device if it requires software. Visit the product manufacturer's website.
  • Check your device's power
    Make sure that your device is on if it has a power switch; try turning your device off and then on again.
  • Try a different port and cable
    Connect your device to a different USB or FireWire port on your Mac. If you connected your device to a USB or FireWire hub or to a port on another USB or FireWire device that's connected to your Mac (known as daisy chaining), connect your device directly to a port on your computer. Some devices need to draw power from a USB or FireWire port to work; if you connect a device to a non-powered hub (one that isn't plugged in to a power source) or to a low-power port (such as the one on your USB keyboard), it may not work. If you have another known-good cable, try swapping the cable to see if that works. If it does, you should replace the problematic cable.
  • Check for device conflicts
    Disconnect all USB or FireWire devices (including hubs and extension cables) except for your Apple keyboard and mouse. Then, connect the device in question directly to your computer. If your device works now, there may be a conflict between that device and one of your other USB or FireWire devices. If it doesn't work, go to tip 8. If you do have a conflict, you can determine which devices are affected. Connect your other devices to your Mac, one by one, making sure to test that each device works before making another connection. When you find the device that causes the issue, contact the manufacturer for assistance (check both manufacturers' websites for software updates and additional information).
  • Quit associated applications
    If you're using a particular application that uses the device in question (for example, you're using Image Capture with a USB scanner), try quitting the application and then opening it again.
  • Try another user account or computer
    If you have another Mac available, try connecting your device to that other computer to see if it works. If you don't have another computer available, log in to another user account on your Mac (or create a new user account and log in to it), and test the device again. If the device is working now, there may be a software conflict between the device and something in your original user account.
  • Check System Profiler for hardware Issues
    Open System Profiler (from the Apple menu, choose About This Mac, then click More Info) and then click either USB or FireWire. If you don't see your device listed in the pane, the issue could be with the device itself or your computer's USB or FireWire port. To rule out the port, plug the device into another USB or FireWire port on your Mac and then check System Profiler again (press Command-R to refresh the window). Also try resetting the FireWire bus. If you see your device listed in the pane but it doesn't work, you may want to contact the device's manufacturer for assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2014 10:03 AM in response to Bast14

Hello there Bast14,

It sounds like you are not able to use your USB ports on your computer. I would use the troubleshooting in the following article to help resolve that, named:

USB and FireWire Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1151

• Restart your Mac
    Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues. From the Apple menu, choose Restart to restart your computer. Once your Mac is finished starting up, test your device again.
  • Check the software
    See if a newer version of software is available for your device if it requires software. Visit the product manufacturer's website.
  • Check your device's power
    Make sure that your device is on if it has a power switch; try turning your device off and then on again.
  • Try a different port and cable
    Connect your device to a different USB or FireWire port on your Mac. If you connected your device to a USB or FireWire hub or to a port on another USB or FireWire device that's connected to your Mac (known as daisy chaining), connect your device directly to a port on your computer. Some devices need to draw power from a USB or FireWire port to work; if you connect a device to a non-powered hub (one that isn't plugged in to a power source) or to a low-power port (such as the one on your USB keyboard), it may not work. If you have another known-good cable, try swapping the cable to see if that works. If it does, you should replace the problematic cable.
  • Check for device conflicts
    Disconnect all USB or FireWire devices (including hubs and extension cables) except for your Apple keyboard and mouse. Then, connect the device in question directly to your computer. If your device works now, there may be a conflict between that device and one of your other USB or FireWire devices. If it doesn't work, go to tip 8. If you do have a conflict, you can determine which devices are affected. Connect your other devices to your Mac, one by one, making sure to test that each device works before making another connection. When you find the device that causes the issue, contact the manufacturer for assistance (check both manufacturers' websites for software updates and additional information).
  • Quit associated applications
    If you're using a particular application that uses the device in question (for example, you're using Image Capture with a USB scanner), try quitting the application and then opening it again.
  • Try another user account or computer
    If you have another Mac available, try connecting your device to that other computer to see if it works. If you don't have another computer available, log in to another user account on your Mac (or create a new user account and log in to it), and test the device again. If the device is working now, there may be a software conflict between the device and something in your original user account.
  • Check System Profiler for hardware Issues
    Open System Profiler (from the Apple menu, choose About This Mac, then click More Info) and then click either USB or FireWire. If you don't see your device listed in the pane, the issue could be with the device itself or your computer's USB or FireWire port. To rule out the port, plug the device into another USB or FireWire port on your Mac and then check System Profiler again (press Command-R to refresh the window). Also try resetting the FireWire bus. If you see your device listed in the pane but it doesn't work, you may want to contact the device's manufacturer for assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Why won't my mac read my USB flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.